Rotating Validity Exercises
1. If Kay names her dog Dog and Ed names his dog Cat, then heliocentric cosmoslogy will be accepted. Heliocentric cosmology will not be accepted. Neither Copernicus nor Galileo believed in heliocentric cosmology. Therefore, Kay does not name her dog Copernicus and Marcus does not name his dog Galileo.
2. If gophers are golden, then Max the Gopher is golden. Max the Gopher is not golden. Therefore, gophers are not golden.
3. I have four heads of lettuce and three tomatoes. I have two candy bars and seven skittles. I have twelve plums and fourteen oranges. Therefore, I have seven skittles.
4. If Kant had a dog, then it was named Barky. If it was named Barky, then it had a studded, embossed collar with its name engraved. If Barky obeyed the Formula of Universal Law, then he would get yummy treats. If Barky got yummy treats, then was a happy dog. Therefore, if Kant had a dog, then it had a studded, embossed collar with its name engraved.
5. Either Hume had a boil on his neck or Avril Lavigne is on crack. Avril Lavigne has a boil on her neck. Hume is on crack. It is not the case that Hume had a boil on his neck. Therefore, Avril Lavigne is on crack.
6. The present king of France is bald. The present king of France wears silk women’s underwear from Victoria’s Secret. Therefore, the present king of France is bald or the present king of France has a mistress.
7. All dogs are hairy. All hairy creatures go to heaven. All hairy creatures are dogs. Therefore, all dogs go to heaven.
8. Cicero was a Roman orator or Cicero was a player. Cicero wrote numerous love letters to his wife. Cicero was not a Roman orator. Cicero studied law with Scaevola the Augur and studied philosophy. Cicero’s wife was named Terentia.Cicero was not a player. Cicero studied public speaking at Rhodes. Therefore, Cicero was a Roman orator.
9. Arthur Schopenhauer had an inferiority complex and Sigmund Freud wanted to eat phallic foods. Schopenhauer thought women were silly, short-sighted and childish. Freud loved bananas and cucumbers. It is not the case that Arthur Schopenhauer had an inferiority complex and Sigmund Freud wanted to eat phallic foods. Therefore, Sigmund Freud had penis envy.
10. All men named Durkheim believe in the idea of anomie. All men are mortal. Durkheim is a man. Durkheim invented the idea of anomie and anomie occurs in times of rapid social change. Therefore, a man named Durkheim believed in the idea of anomie.