Suggested Reference Sources
Searchworks Subject Headings:
Call numbers in the PN4700s look like a great area to browse in the Green Library stacks. The Subjects of these books are all related to journalism.
Some Interesting Books on Journalism, writing articles, interviews, photojournalism:
- Communication Studies also communication-related articles
- Sociological Abstracts You can use Proquest Social Sciences and select several of the social science databases, such as PAIS International, International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS),Psycinfo, Political Science Worldwide, and others.
- America History and Life (add Historical Abstracts too using the Choose Databases link on the search page). This databases indexes (and provides many articles in full text) scholarly history articles and texts
- Policy File - U.S. foreign and domestic policy papers and gray literature, PolicyFile is updated weekly with abstracts and links to the latest reports, papers, and documents from think tanks, research institutes, and agencies
- Hein Online: database of Law and Legal sources - several databases under one roof: Includes law journals, Code of Federal Regulations, Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS), New York Court of Appeals Records and Briefs, United States Code, U.S. Attorney General Opinions, U.S. Federal Legislative History Library, U.S. Presidential Library, U.S. Statutes at Large, U.S. Supreme Court Library, World Trials Library
- Medline (includes Bioethics)
Primary Source Material - News and Magazines in Fulltext
- The Nation Digital Archive: The archive currently contains PDF page images and searchable OCR text for all issues of The Nation published from 1865
- Left Index: A complete guide to the diverse literature of the left, with an emphasis on political, economic, social and culturally engaged scholarship inside and outside academia. A secondary emphasis is on significant but little known sources of news and ideas. Other topics covered include the labor movement, ecology & environment, race & ethnicity, social & cultural theory, sociology, art & aesthetics, philosophy, history, education, law, and globalization. Historically significant early Left publications such as The People (est. NY 1891), and The Class Struggle (1931-1937) along with classic texts by Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, Engels and others, written in the formative years of the Left, also are covered.
- American Periodicals Series Online: Includes over 1,000 periodicals and 7,000,000 pages of full text periodicals covering the years 1740-1900
- New York Times: Scanned New York Times: 1851-2005 from Proquest News and Newspapers. note from this database you can also access other newspapers: Chicago Tribune 1849-1986; Los Angeles Times 1881-1986; Atlanta Constitution 1868-1939; and others.
- The Times (London) Digital Archive: 1785-1985
- America's Historical Newspapers: 17th-19th century American Newspapers from the Archive of Americana. Search "Newspaper Titles" and find newspapers by state and city.
- Lexis Nexis Academic: you can search radio, TV and newswire transcripts for current and older interviews.
See other news sources in the full list of News Databases