Find Environmental Resources
Sample SearchWorks searches related to Environmental Studies:
Some interesting resources found using SearchWorks:
To locate databases by name or topic, use the SearchWorks online catalog and select the Database facet. Databases in SearchWorks are always indicated with a green bar.
Indexes journal articles in the applied life sciences from 1974 to the present. Use CAB Abstracts Archive for literature published from 1900-1973.
- Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports
Congressional Research Service (CRS) is a "think tank" that provides research reports to members of Congress on a variety of topics relevant to current political events. There is a movement to make CRS Reports more accessible. Try the following sites for access to CRS Reports:
- Environment Index
Offers deep coverage in applicable areas of agriculture, ecosystem ecology, energy, natural resources, marine & freshwater science, geography, pollution & waste management, environmental technology, environmental law, public policy, social impacts, urban planning, and more. Includes domestic and international titles going back to the 1950s
- Environmental sciences & pollution management
A multidisciplinary database, with abstracts and citations from scientific journals, conference proceedings, reports, monographs, books and government publications. Major areas of coverage include: aquatic pollution, bacteriology, ecology, energy resources, environmental biotechnology, environmental engineering, environmental impact statements, hazardous waste, industrial hygiene, microbiology, risk assessment.
- Intergovernmental and Non-Governmental Organizations Search
Google custom search engines for Intergovernmental Organizations (IGOs) and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs).
- PAIS International
Public Affairs Information Service indexes journals in the areas of political science, economics, public policy and related areas.
- Science Accelerator
A gateway to science, including R&D results, project descriptions, accomplishments, and more, via resources made available by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI), U.S. Department of Energy.
- World Bank e-Library
Access World Bank publications, working papers and other research materials.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
Citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international journals and magazines in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration/policy
Statistics and Data
- GEO Data Portal
Data sets used by UNEP and its partners in the Global environment outlook report. Its online database holds more than 400 different variables, on themes like population, water, forest, emission, temperature, biodiversity, land, soil, energy etc. - as national (i.e. country-level), subregional, regional (i.e. Africa, Asia, America, Europe) and global statistics or as geospatial data sets (maps).
- Lexis Nexis Statistical Insight
Check out OECD's beta statistics database called OECD.stat. It enables users to search for and extract data from across various OECD databases.
- UN Data
Access to various United Nations statistical databases including energy, environment, health, trade...
- United Nations Sustainable Development National Information Database
- World Development Indicators
- List of statistical databases and resources to which Stanford Library subscribes.
Other Resources on the Stanford Campus
- Woods Institute for the Environment: Hub of interdisciplinary environmental research, teaching and problem solving at Stanford, focusing on four core areas: energy and climate,land use and conservation, oceans and estuaries, freshwater. The Woods Institute maintains the Stanford Environmental Portal, a resource for campus-wide environmental research and education.
- Sustainable Choices: Provides information on small changes you can make to help the environment.
If you are still having trouble finding materials, just Ask Us!