Find Music/Drama/Theater/Dance Resources
- Garland Encyclopedia of World Music: Divided by geographic region, each volume contains an overview of the region, a survey of its musical heritage, traditions and themes; and a description of specific musical genres, practices, and performances. Articles include detailed photographs that show musicians, musical instrument, and the cultural context of dances, rituals, and ceremonies.
- The new Grove dictionary of music and musicians
- Music & dance reference. The online bibliography [electronic resource]: includes bibliographies and reference sources (both print and online), some annotated with critiques on use, coverage, organization, and pros and cons (click here for guidelines on writing critiques). Many entries also list published reviews for the corresponding sources. The coverage of the bibliography was initially based on the music and dance reference collection at Brigham Young University
- New York times theater reviews
- International bibliography of theatre & dance with full text
International encyclopedia of dance : a project of Dance Perspectives Foundation, Inc.(in print in the Information Center: GV1585 .I586)
For music, look for call numbers beginning with ML and for theater, those beginning with PN2000 and for dance, those beginning with GV 1500-1700 in Green Library's Information Center and the Lane Reading Room in the Bing Wing second floor.
Suggested Music Databases
- RILM Abstracts of Music Literature (RILM): A comprehensive guide to publications on music from all over the world, with abstracts written in English. All types of scholarly works are included.
- Music Index (MI): a comprehensive guide to music periodicals and literature featuring digitized content from 1970 to present it covers every aspect of the classical and popular world of music.
- International Index to Music Periodicals (IIMP): Provides indexing and abstracts for more than 430 international music periodicals from over 20 countries. Enables you to search and browse hundreds of music journals covering a broad scope of research from performance, theory and composition to music education, jazz and ethnomusicology.
- The Database of recorded American music DRAM: A database of recordings offered on-demand through streaming. The basis for the collection is the diverse catalogue of New World Records, from folk to opera, Native American to jazz, 19th century classical to early rock, musical theater, contemporary, electronic and beyond.
- Naxos music library : Over 75,000 tracks, including Classical music, Historical recordings, Jazz, World, Folk and Chinese music. Whilst listening, users can read notes on the works being played as well as biographical information on composers or artists in Naxos's extensive database.
- Naxos Video Library: an extensive streaming video library of classical music performances, opera, ballet, live concerts and documentaries
Suggested Drama Databases
- Twentieth century drama: When complete, Twentieth-Century drama will contain 2,500 plays from throughout the English-speaking world, covering the history of modern drama from the 1890s to the present
- Theater in Video: contains more than 250 definitive performances of the world's leading plays, together with more than 100 film documentaries, online in streaming video - more than 500 hours in all, representing hundreds of leading playwrights, actors and directors.
- Twentieth century North American drama: contains 1,530 plays by 223 playwrights, together with detailed, fielded information on related productions, theaters, production companies, and more. The database also includes selected playbills, production photographs and other ephemera related to the plays.
- American drama, 1714-1915: Containing more than 1,500 dramatic works from the early eighteenth century up to the beginning of the twentieth
- English drama: A combination of English verse drama and English prose drama full-text databases. Contains 4,000 plays by 1,200 authors from the late 13th to early 20th centuries.
- The world Shakespeare bibliography online: A searchable electronic database consisting of the most comprehensive record of Shakespeare-related scholarship and theatrical productions published or produced worldwide between 1961 and 2008.
Suggested Dance Databases
- Dance in Video: hundred hours of dance productions and documentaries by the most influential performers and companies of the 20th century. Selections cover ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, experimental, and improvisational dance, as well as forerunners of the forms and the pioneers of modern concert dance.