Find Law/Legal Resources
Reference articles from our online Reference Resources:
Books on Legal Rhetoric
Sample search terms in Searchworks:
Current Events, Hot Topics and Debate Issues
- Facts on File: good overview of events, Issues and Controversies on Hot Topics, like treatment of detainees; Human Rights; Healthcare Reform; Separation of Church and State in US; Gun Control; International Criminal Court; Civil Liberties on War on Terror; Right to Die; Detainees' Rights, etc.
- The debatabase book [electronic resource] : a must-have guide for successful debate
- Publications for National Debaters: Finding Both Sides of an Issue
Recommended Law databases - United States:
- CQ Electronic Library: CQ's authoritative and balanced coverage of public affairs includes the CQ Researcher, CQ Weekly, CQ's Electronic Encyclopedia of American Government, the electronic version of Washington Information Directory (eWID), and the CQ Public Affairs Collection, CQ Insider, and CQ Supreme Court Collection.
- Congressional Publications (Proquest): United States government: includes Legislative Histories, Congressional Hearings, Congressional Record, House and Senate Reports, and more
- Lexis Nexis Academic (Select US Legal): includes US Federal and State Cases; Supreme Court Cases; Law Reviews; International
- Congressional Research Service (CRS) - a GREAT resource for review papers on subjects that congressional committee members might want for background on a topic that may be relevant to a legislative topic - for example, music piracy, or vigilantism, or health care or juvenile crime or media violence. Also available through Lexis Nexis Academic
- U.S. Supreme Court records and briefs, 1832-1978 + The Making of Modern Law: Legal Treatises 1800-1926 + The Making of Modern Law: Trials 1600-1926
- American Rhetoric: Database of and index to 5000+ full text, audio and video versions of public speeches, sermons, legal proceedings, lectures, debates, interviews, other recorded media events, and a declaration or two.
Recommended Law databases - International:
- Official site of the Supreme Court of the U.S.:Provides general information, opinions, term orders, argument calendar, schedules, court rules, bar admission forms and instructions, case-handling guides, special notices, biographies of current and past justices, architectural details, and press releases. Includes a search engine for finding documents.
- Supreme Court Collection : Search this site for U.S. Supreme Court decisions. Includes an archive of decisions going back to 1990 (searchable by topic, justice, and party), highlights of the present term, a glossary, Supreme Court rules, and more. From the Legal Information Institute (LII) at Cornell Law School.
- Oyez: U.S. Supreme Court Case Summaries, Oral Arguments & Multimedia: The Oyez Project is a multimedia archive devoted to the Supreme Court of the United States and its work. It aims to be a complete and authoritative source for all audio recorded in the Court since the installation of a recording system in October 1955. The Project also provides authoritative information on all justices and offers a virtual reality 'tour' of portions of the Supreme Court building, including the chambers of some of the justices.