Professor of Electrical Engineering
Edward L. Ginzton Laboratory
Stanford, CA 94305-4088
||Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California.
Thesis Advisor: Professor David M. Bloom. Thesis title: "Integrated Semiconductor Light Modulators for
Fiber-Optic and Display Applications." Thesis work consisted of development of light modulators for
integration of fiber optics with semiconductor electronic circuits, and included the invention of the
Deformable Grating Light Valve.
||MS in Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California.
||BS in Electrical Engineering, Norwegian Institute of Technology, Norway
||Professor of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
||Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
||Director of Edward L. Ginzton Laboratory, Stanford University
||Deputy Director of Edward L. Ginzton Laboratory, Stanford University
||Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
||Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California, Davis
||Co-founder, consultant and member of Technology Advisory Board, Silicon Light Machines, Sunnyvale, California
||Post Doctoral Research Engineer, University of California, Berkeley
||Development Engineer, SensoNor a.s., Horten, Norway
||Noncommissioned officer, Royal Norwegian Naval Academy, Norway
||Teaching Assistant, Norwegian Institute of Technology, Norway
Public and Professional Service
- Guest editor of Special Issue on Nano Photonics and Optical MEMS of the IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Sept/Oct 2009
- Chairman of standing committee for IEEE/LEOS Conference on Optical MEMS 2006-2009
- Topical editor of IEEE Journal of MicroelectroMechanicalSystems (JMEMS) since 2004.
- Member of standing committee for IEEE/LEOS Conference on Optical MEMS since 2002.
- Guest editor of Special Issue on Optical Microsystems of the IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics,
March/April 2007, May/June 2004, and January/February 2002.
- General Chair of IEEE/LEOS Conference on Optical MEMS 2003.
- Program Committee Chair, IEEE/LEOS Conference on Optical MEMS 2000.
- Royal Norwegian Councils for Scientific and Industrial Research Fellowship for Advanced Studies, 1986
- Andrew E. Wigeland and G. Norman Wigeland Fund Grant for Graduate Study, 1986
- Fellow of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences, 2010
- Fellow of the Optical Society of America, 2008
- Member of Det Kongelige Norske Videnskapers Selskab (The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters), 2008
- Terman Fellow, 1999-2002
- National Science Foundation - Faculty Early Career Development Program, 1998