There is a time for everything...
I was quite active in the student governance in Stanford. In 2003/04, I served as the graduate student representative in the ITSS Advisory Group. I worked with the Information Technology Systems and Services on a few new campus-wide technology initiatives including deployment of wireless network.
I was one of the founding members and President for SIAM Stanford University Chapter, an academic volunteer student organization in Stanford since 2002. I served as the student representative and webmaster for SCCM / ICME. In addition, I offered free consulting services in scientific computing / computational mathematics / numerical methods to the Stanford community through the SCCM Advice.
I maintain close ties with Hong Kong and Singapore through the Hong Kong Student Association (I was the Treasurer in 2001/02 and President in 2002/03) and Singaporeans at Stanford. I acted as a local coordinator with the Singapore Consulate General in San Francisco to connect with Singaporeans living in the San Francisco bay area. For the last few years, I have been a volunteer for some local non-profit medical and legal organizations; projects I have been involved include English-Chinese document translation, blood and marrow drives.
In August 2006, I co-founded the Chinese Outreach Committee for Palo Alto Chapter, American Red Cross and the group has since been active in serving and teaching life-saving skills to limited English-speaking Chinese in the Bay Area. We have a public mailing list here.
Some interviews in the news:
- Preparedness Instructor Sou-Cheng Choi Starts Chinese Outreach Initiative, Bay Area Chapter, American Red Cross, July 25, 2010
- Hundreds of local residents give up a few Saturday hours to learn how to save a life, Palo Alto Chapter, American Red Cross, March 14, 2008
- 紅會向山景城華裔灌輸地震應變知識, Ming Pao Daily News, December 18, 2007
- Community Disaster Education presented in Cantonese in Mountain View, Palo Alto Chapter, American Red Cross, December 8, 2007
- Red Cross outreach brings First Aid skills in Mandarin to local Chinese community, Palo Alto Chapter, American Red Cross, August 25, 2007
- City of Mountain View recognizes PAARC outreach committees (news release), Palo Alto Chapter, American Red Cross, August 21, 2007
- Latino Outreach Committee and new Chinese Outreach Committee plan classes, preparedness presentations, Palo Alto Chapter, American Red Cross, July 2007
- Red Cross honors outstanding volunteers, life-savers at Annual Meeting (press release), Palo Alto Chapter, American Red Cross, June 7, 2007
- Hundreds learn life-saving skills at CPR Saturday, Palo Alto Chapter, American Red Cross, March 10, 2007
- Regina Ip a mentor to her fellow HK students at Stanford, South China Morning Post, July 9, 2006
- Asian students in U.S. in limbo, MSNBC, April 4, 2003