- Kim, J., Cheng, J. & Bernstein, M. (2014). Exploring Complementary Strengths of Leaders and Crowds in Creative Collaboration. To appear at CSCW 2014.
- J. Kim, J. Ricaurte, "TapBeats: Accessible and Mobile Casual Gaming," Proceedings of ASSETS 2011: The 13th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, Dundee, Scotland, October 24-26, 2011. New York: ACM Press, pp. 285-285.
- J. Tran, J. Kim, J. Chon, E. Riskin, R. Ladner, and J. Wobbrock," Evaluating Quality and Comprehension of Real-Time Sign Language Video on Mobile Phones," Proceedings of ASSETS 2011: The 13th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, Dundee, Scotland, UK, October 24-26, 2011. New York: ACM Press, pp. 115-122.
- Kim, J., Tran, J.J., Johnson, T.W., Ladner, R., Riskin, E. and Wobbrock, J.O. (2011). Effect of MobileASL on communication among deaf users. Extended Abstracts of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '11). New York: ACM Press.
- J. Tran, T. Johnson, J. Kim, R. Rodriguez, S. Yin, E. Riskin, R. Ladner, and J. Wobbrock, “A Web-Based User Survey for Evaluating Power Saving Strategies for Deaf Users of MobileASL,” Proceedings of ASSETS 2010: The 12th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, Orlando, FL, October 25-27, 2010.
- Brown Institute Magic Grant, 2013
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2011
- Mary Gates Research Scholarship, University of Washington, 2011
- Honorable Mention, Computer Research Association (CRA) Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher Award, 2011
Currently, I am a third-year PhD student in computer science at Stanford University, advised by Michael Bernstein. In 2011, I received my BS in Computer Science at the University of Washington, where I discovered my interest in human-computer interaction research working on the MobileASL project with advisors Richard Ladner, Eve Riskin, and Jake Wobbrock. My research interests are in social computing and creativity.
In my spare time, I love to paint and draw! I was one of the original founding members of the Graphic Novel Society at UW and served as its president from 2008 to 2011. I'm a big fan of comics and graphic novels of all kinds, and I run my own webcomic called Herogirl Comics.