EFS 693A - STANFORD UNIVERSITY
Notes Week 3 -1
I. Randall's Cyber Listening Lab Homework
1. Try full dictations of parts of the script
2. Check Google and Google images to learn/reinforce new vocabulary
3. Always expand the player if you can. Use pause and repeat on more difficult material
II. Hillier lecture on game theory: quiz
1. What are the two key assumptions of game theory?
2. What kind of game is Hillier talking about in this lecture?
3. Draw a “payoff table” and explain how it works.
4. What is a “dominated strategy”? Is there a dominated strategy in odds and evens?
5. What do the numbers in the payoff table represent for the political campaign example?
6. What are the three possible strategies for the political campaign example?
7. (bonus) There is a third assumption in game theory that you can infer from the numbers in the payoff table that the campaign mangers use. Any idea what it is?
III. English sound system (handouts)
Homework (for 10/11):
1) Listen to Part II of the Hillier lecture at http://polyglot.stanford.edu:16080/efs_lectures/lecture1_pt2.html. Be sure to pause and repeat as needed. Take good notes and bring those notes to class for discussion.
2) Go back to Randall's listening lab and do one lesson for 20-30 minutes. Try to go through it in a different way based on the discussion we had in class and take notes on what you tried and how well it worked for you. We will discuss this on Thursday.