Faculty Quick Guide
This Quick Guide focuses on faculty resources for teaching, learning, and research. It can help you locate the University's computing and communication resources.
Computing and Communication — A Good Place to Start
The Computing and Communication web site provides links to technology tools and services available across the Stanford community.
Stanford Answers — This page is Stanford's gateway to self-help information about computing, telephone, and other services.
HelpSU is Stanford's help request system. For any technology related question you can Submit a HelpSU form or call 5-HELP (4357).
Basic Technology Support in Departments
Resources for getting assistance with your computing and communication needs often exist right in your department.
- Local Network Administrator (LNA): Your LNA acts as the contact person for network configuration and troubleshooting.
- Department Contact: Your Department Contact acts as the liaison between your department and IT Services for voice-related services (e.g., phone, voice mail, PCS) and video services (e.g., cable TV).
- IT Services Desktop Contract Support: Some departments contract with IT Services for desktop computing assistance.
- Academic Technology Specialist: Some departments have staff who provide discipline-specific technology assistance in support of teaching and research.
Basic Technology Support at Stanford
Here are some links to general computing services at Stanford.
- Resources for New Faculty
- Learning about Computing
- Purchasing a Computer
- Computer Security
- Data Classification
- Essential Stanford Software
- Email at Stanford University
- Site-Licensed Software
- Hardware Repair and Maintenance Program
- Data Storage Options
- Desktop Backup and Recovery Solutions
Technology Support for Instruction
Stanford has many resources for technology support for instruction. At courses.stanford.edu, you will find a comprehensive collection of resources for course support. Some other resources are:
Some key University-based support resources are:
- Academic Computing
- CourseWork for course web site development
- Classroom support and technology enhanced classrooms (from the Registrar)
- Classroom support and technology-enhanced classrooms (from SULAIR)
- Wallenberg Hall
- Axess for faculty
- Computing facilities
- Academic Technology Lab
- Academic Technology Specialist Program
- Center for Teaching and Learning
- Academic Cable TV
(check with your school/department for more information)
Technology Support for Research
Following are some resources that provide online information and technology support for research.
- Library Information and Resources
SearchWorks - searchworks.stanford.edu
E-Journals - ejournals.stanford.edu/
Databases - library.stanford.edu/catdb/dbases_articles.html
Course Reserves - library.stanford.edu/services/course_reserves/index.html
HighWire Press - highwire.stanford.edu/
Stanford University Press (SU Press) - www.sup.org
Social Science Data and Software (SSDS) - ssds.stanford.edu
Humanities Digital Information Service (HDIS) - library.stanford.edu/depts/hasrg/hdis/index.html
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) - gis.stanford.edu
- High Performance Computing (HPC) — Cluster Model
- Stanford Research Computing Facility
- Including IT Costs in Research Grants
- Data Center Facilities
- Disk Storage Space (AFS Distributed File System)
Personal - itservices.stanford.edu/service/storage
Research - itservices.stanford.edu/service/storage#researchwhat
In addition to your default UNIX Computing Resources disk space, IT Services offers online disk space for academic and unfunded research use. Faculty can apply for an allocation of space by completing the application form available at: www.stanford.edu/services/researchdiskspace
- UNIX—Computing Resources
- Software Acquisitions
Technology Support Outside the Classroom, Lab, or Office
Here are some resources for using technology outside your classroom, lab, or office.
- Access to SUNet from Off Campus
- PCS (Cellular) Telephones
- Email while Traveling
- Voice Messaging
- Calendar—the Stanford University Calendar
- Information About You and SUNet Settings
- Stanford On-line Directory
Webex - itservices.stanford.edu/service/webex
Work Anywhere - workanywhere.stanford.edu