Home | Map | Image 1 | Image 2 | Image 3 | Image 4 | Image 5 | Image 6 | Image 7 | Essay

Image III: Kashmir Road, Lower Falls

 
On Kashmir Road in the Falls, this mural communicates continuity by reference to the past and present heraldry of Republicanism. In the background here, the tricolor first appeared in the 1840s, inspired by the flag of revolutionary France. Pearse and comrades made it the banner of their ephemeral Republic, hence its significance to the modern IRA and Sinn Féin. The Irish Free State adopted the tricolor as its flag in 1921, simultaneously formalizing the current arrangement of colors. In its present usage, the green field represents the Gaelic, Catholic, the orange the British, Protestant, and the white the ideal of peace between them. On the left side of the mural, the pike, "starry plough," and "sunburst" allude to more distant episode in Ireland's revolutionary history. The pike recalls the United Irishmen rising of 1798, a debacle of revolution that devolved into a sectarian jacquerie, but immortalized Theobald Wolfe Tone, a prominent member of Republicanism's cult of ancestors. The Irish Revolutionary Brotherhood of the late 1800s and early 1900s introduced the starry plough, a suitable banner for a both highly romantic and agricultural society. Constance Markievicz designed the sunburst for her Fianna Éireann "boy scouts," drawing from flags employed during the revolutionary 1840s. A generic modern guerrilla and banner reading "Saoirse," or "Freedom," link these heralds of the past to the present IRA and its goal.