Cardinal Care Subsidy for Graduate Students
Stanford subsidizes the Cardinal Care premium for graduate students who are employed as research or teaching assistantships, and for many of the students receiving fellowships. Details of eligibility to receive the subsidy and the amount of the subsidy are below.
On this page:
- How much is the subsidy?
- Who qualifies to receive this benefit?
- Will eligibility be determined on an annual or a quarterly basis?
- When will a student's subsidy appear on their account?
- Do graduate students who are employed in jobs that pay hourly wages qualify for this subsidy?
- Are co-term graduate students eligible for this subsidy?
- How does Cardinal Care subsidy work during summer?
- Will graduate students have to apply to receive a Cardinal Care health insurance subsidy?
The FULL benefit consists of a payment of 50 percent of the Cardinal Care premium*.
The PARTIAL benefit consists of a payment of 25 percent of the Cardinal Care premium*.
* For the purposes of calculating the amount of this subsidy, the Cardinal Care premium is defined as the cost of the 12-month coverage, divided by three academic quarters.
The following enrolled graduate students (who do not waive Cardinal Care and do not have an outside fellowship source paying the full cost of insurance) will receive the FULL subsidy:
- those with a Research or Teaching Assistantship appointment of 25% or more
- those with a fellowship paying a non-tuition stipend at or above the minimum salary for a 25% assistantship (CA or RA)
The following enrolled graduate students (who do not waive Cardinal Care and do not have an outside fellowship source paying the full cost of insurance) will receive the PARTIAL subsidy:
- those with a Research or Teaching Assistantship appointment of less than 25%
- those with a fellowship paying a non-tuition stipend at or above the minimum salary for a 10% assistantship (CA or RA)
Students not meeting the above criteria are not eligible for a Cardinal Care subsidy.
Will eligibility be determined on an annual or quarterly basis?
Eligibility will be determined on a quarterly basis. Students will be eligible based on the financial assistance they receive in a quarter. Likewise, the subsidy is paid on a quarterly basis. Normally, there are no Cardinal Care charges or subsidies in summer quarter.
When will a student's subsidy appear on their account?
Students will see the subsidy payment on their account as soon as the qualifying financial aid (e.g., the fellowship or assistantship appointment) is approved. It will appear on the student's account as "anticipated aid" until the start of the quarter and until the student has enrolled in the appropriate level of units. The subsidy may be withdrawn entirely or amounts adjusted if the student's financial support is withdrawn or reduced prior to the first payroll deadline each quarter (usually the third week of the quarter).
The subsidy payment will be applied to the student's account in Axess presuming that: 1) the student is enrolled in Cardinal Care and has a Cardinal Care bill that quarter, 2) the student is enrolled academically, and 3) the qualifying financial support was approved prior to the first payroll deadline of the quarter.
Do graduate students who are employed in jobs that pay hourly wages qualify for this subsidy?
Student employees will qualify for the Cardinal Care subsidy if they have either a Research or Teaching Assistantship (an RA or TA appointment). Other student jobs on campus will not qualify the student for the Cardinal Care subsidy.
How does Cardinal Care subsidy work during the summer?
Students who are enrolled in Cardinal Care during the academic year will automatically be enrolled in Cardinal Care for Summer Quarter at no additional cost (whether they are enrolled as a student in the summer or not). Since there is no charge posted for Cardinal Care during Summer Quarter, a corresponding Cardinal Care subsidy is not applied in Summer quarter.
In those cases, when a student was charged for Cardinal Care during Autumn, Winter or Spring but was not eligible for the subsidy during that quarter, and subsidy-eligible support (assistantship or fellowship) during the summer, the subsidy will be given to the student "retroactively" during the summer.
All graduate students who are enrolled in Cardinal Care and who qualify for the subsidy will automatically receive the subsidy for which they are eligible. In order for the payment to be applied, the student must by enrolled in at least 8 units (or TGR status) during each academic-year quarter (Autumn, Winter and Spring).
For additional subsidy questions, please email GRAD-Insurance@stanford.edu
Cardinal Care Information
- Medical and mental health benefits
- Cost and coverage dates
- For undergraduate parents
- Graduate student subsidy