Selected Refereed Articles:
- Richardson, D. M., J. J. Hellmann, J. McLachlan, D. F. Sax, M. W. Schwartz, J. Brennan, P. Gonzalez, T. root, O. Sala, S. H. Schneider, D. Ashe, A. Camacho, J. R. Clark, R. Early, J. Etterson, D. Fielder, J. Gill, B. A. Minteer, S. Polasky, H. Safford, A. Thompson, and M. Vellend. 2009. Multidimensional evaluation of managed relocation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 106: 9721-9724.
- Root,T.L., J.T. Price, K.R. Hall, S.H. Schneider, C. Rosenzweig, J. A. Pounds. 2003. “’Fingerprints’ of global warming on animals and plants”. Nature
- Blaustein, A.R, T.L. Root, J.M. Kiesecker, L.K. Belden, D.H. Olson, D.M. Green. 2002. “Amphibian phenology and climate change”. Conservation Biology 16:1454-1455.
- Blaustein, AR, L.K. Belden, D.H. Olson, D.M. Green, T.L. Root, J.M. Kiesecker. 2001. “Amphibian breeding and climate change”. Conservation Biology 15: 1804-1809.
- Parmesan, C., T. L. Root, and M. R. Willig. 2000. “Impacts of extreme weather and climate on terrestrial biota”. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 40: 443-450.
- Sorenson, L. G., R. Goldberg, T. L. Root, M. G. Anderson. 1998. “Potential effects of global warming on waterfowl populations breeding in the Northern Great Plains”. Climatic Change 40: 343-369.
- Schneider, S. H. and T. L. Root. 1996. “Ecological implications of climate change will include surprises”. Biodiversity and Conservation 5: 1109-1119.
- Root, T.L. and S.H. Schneider. 1995. “Ecology and Climate: Research Strategies and Implications”. Science
- Root, T. L. and J. D. Weckstein. 1994. “Changes in distribution patterns of select wintering North American birds from 1901 to 1989”. Studies in Avian Biology 15: 191 - 201.
- Root, T.L., and S.H. Schneider. 1993. “Can large-scale climatic models be linked with multi-scale ecological studies?”, Conservation Biology 7: 256-270.
- O’Connor, T. P. and T. L. Root. 1993.“ Effect of handling time and freezing on catabolic enzyme activities in House Sparrow pectoralis muscle”. The Auk 110: 150 - 152.
- Root, T. L., T. P. O’Connor, and W. R. Dawson. 1991. “Standard metabolic level and insulative characteristics of eastern House Finches, Carpodacus mexicanus (Muller)”. Physiological Zoology
- Root, T. 1988. “Energy constraints on avian distributions and abundances”. Ecology
- Root, T. 1988. “Environmental factors associated with avian distributional limits”. Journal of Biogeography 15:
- Mode, C. J. and T. Root. 1988. “Projecting age-structured populations in a random environment”. Mathematical Bioscience
- Bock, C. E. and T. L. Root. 1981. “The Christmas Bird Count and avian ecology”. Studies in Avian Biology 6: 17 - 23.
- Bock, C. E. and T. L. Root. 1981. “Winter abundance patterns of landbirds in the United States and southern Canada”. American Birds 35: 891 - 897.
- Root, T. L., M. A. Holmgren, and R. W. Andrews. 1980. “The winter abundance patterns of some songbirds near the 100th meridian in the southern United States”. Southwestern Naturalist 26: 95 - 100.
- Schneider, S.H. and T.L. Root, editors, 2002: Wildlife Responses to Climate Change: North American Case Studies. Island Press Washington, DC.
- Root, T. 1988. Atlas of Wintering North American Birds: An Analysis of Christmas Bird Count Data. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois.
Refereed Book Chapters:
- Root, T. L. and S. H. Schneider. 2002. “Climate change: Overview and implications for wildlife”. Pages 1-56. In Wildlife Responses to Climate Change: North American Case Studies. S.H. Schneider and T.L. Root, editors. Island Press: Washington, DC.
- Schneider, S. H. and T. L. Root. 2001. “Synergism of climate change and ecology”. Vol. 1, pages 709-725. In Encyclopedia of Biodiversity. Simon Levin, editor. San Diego Academic Press.
- Price, J. T. and T. L. Root. 2000. “Effects of climate change on bird distributions and migration pattern”s. Pages 65-68. In Preparing for a Changing Climate. P.J.Sousounis and J. M. Bisanz. US Global Change Research Program.
- Root, T. L. 2000. Ecology: Possible Consequences of Rapid Global Change. Pages 315-324. In Earth Systems: Processes and Issues. G. Ernst, editor. Cambridge Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Schneider, S. H. and T. L. Root. 1998: “Impacts of Climate Changes on Biological Resources”. In Status and Trends of the Nation’s Biological Resources, eds., U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA. Vol. 1: 89-116.
- Root, T. L. and J. D. Weckstein. 1995. “Changes from 1901 to 1989 in the winter ranges of some birds”. In Our Living Resources: A Report to the Nation on the Distribution, Abundance and Health of U.S. Plants, Animals and Ecosystems. E. T. La Roe, G. S. Farris, C. Puckett, P. D. Doran, and M. J. Mac (eds.). NBS, USDOI, Washington, DC.
- Root, T. L. and L. McDaniel. 1995. “State-by-state population trends of selected songbirds from 1960 to 1989”. In Our Living Resources: A Report to the Nation on the Distribution, Abundance and Health of U.S. Plants, Animals and Ecosystems. E. T. LaRoe, G. S. Farris, C. Puckett, P. D. Doran, and M. J. Mac (eds.). NBS, USDOI, Washington, DC.
- Root, T. L. 1993. “Effects of global climate change on North American birds and their communities”. Pages 280 - 292. In Biotic Interactions and Global Change, P. Kareiva, J. Kingsolver, and R. Huey (eds.). Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
Non-refereed Publications (selected list):
- Schneider, S.H. and T.L. Root, 2002. “Introduction: the Rationale for the National Wildlife Federation Cohort of Young Scientists Studying Wildlife Responses to Climate Change”, in Wildlife Responses to Climate Change: North American Case Studies, Island Press Washington, DC. Pages xi-xv.
- Price, J. T., and T. L. Root. 2001. “Climate change and Neotropical migrants”. Transactions of the sixty-sixth North American Wildlife and Natural Resource Conference. Pages 371-379.
- Kinzig, A. P., J. Antle, W. Ascher, W. Brock, S. Carpenter, F. S. Chapin III, R. Costanza, K.L. Cottingham, M. Dove, H. Dowlatabadi, E. Elliot, K. Ewel, A. Fisher, P. Gober, N. Grimm, T. Groves, S, Hanna, G. Heal, K. Lee, S. Levin, J. Lubchenco, D. Ludwig, J. Martinez-Alier, W. Murdoch, R. Naylor, R. Norgaard, M. Oppenheimer, A. Pfaff, S. Pickett, S. Polasky, H. R. Pulliam, C. Redman, J. P. Rodrigez, T. Root, S. H. Schneider, R. Schuler, T. Scudder, K. Segersen, M. R. Shaw, D. Simpson, A. A. Small, D. Starrett, P. Taylor, S, van der Leeuw, D. H. Hall, M. Wilson. 2000. “Nature and Society: An Imperative for Integrated Environmental Research”.
- Root, T. L. 1997. “How to Approach Assessing Climate Impacts on Animals”. Pages 203-206. In Elements of Change
- Watson, J. F. and T. L. Root. 1996. “Introduction to the special issue: Why Southern Sea Otters?”. Endangered Species UPDATE
- Root, T. L. 1994. “Scientific/philosophical challenges of global change research: a case study of climatic changes on birds”. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 138: 377 - 384.