IntroductionStanford offers the BigFix Enterprise Suite (BES) to deploy both patches and updates automatically to Windows and Macintosh computers in addition to providing a consistent and reliable way to remotely configure power settings. IT Services offers and administers BigFix in collaboration with others across the University.
BigFix Quick Start
BigFix patch management
Internet-based attacks upon individual desktop and laptop computers are a world-wide problem with new vulnerabilities discovered weekly. Computer manufacturers quickly and frequently issue security "patches" and updates to combat the issues. BigFix automatically installs these patches and updates on your computer as soon as they are available.
- BigFix enables Stanford to install critical security patches on computers as soon as they're made available by Microsoft and Apple and tested here. Release of patches occurs after broad campus-wide testing and follows a rigorous, but rapid, procedure.
- BigFix is an agent-based software solution. Each computer communicates with the BigFix server to determine its patch status. The server automatically applies appropriate updates once they have been released.
- BigFix collects basic inventory information about the computer (such as the presence or absence of critical security updates, IP address, operating system, and some hardware data). A complete list of collected information is always available.
BigFix power management
The Stanford community's 40,000 desktop and laptop computers requires a tremendous amount of electricity to run. BigFix Power Management helps the University reduce both this electricity usage and our green house gas emissions by enabling to set your own power management settings and then makes sure they stay set so you don't have to worry about it.
- BigFix Power Management lets you participate in the University's power and green house gas reduction efforts.The University is able to better measure energy usage by desktop computers.
- You can temporarily change your power management settings for the day and they will revert to your BigFix Power Management settings overnight.
- You can change your sustainability preferences (or opt out) at any time.
- See BigFix Power Management page for more information.
In many cases, schools and departments have adopted Power Management so, if you have BigFix on your computer, you are part of the program. If you are using a Windows computer, you can see if your computer is already participating by going to your power management settings. If "Stanford Green" is an available Power Scheme, your computer is already in the program.
If you are not using BigFix Power Management, you can still participate. After installing BigFix, download and install the Stanford Power Management Tool.
Data security restrictions
This service can be used for computers with data of any classification (prohibited, restricted, confidential, or public data).
For more information please see the BigFix FAQ.
If you encounter problems or need assistance, please submit a HelpSU request.
The BigFix client is free of charge to faculty, staff and students for their work/school-related computers as well as their home computers.
- Download and install the BigFix client software for Windows
- Download and install the BigFix client software for Macintosh
- Download and install the Stanford Power Management Tool for Windows
- Download and install the Stanford Power Management Tool for Macintosh