Current version: March 15, 2003
Defines the Tuition Allowance component of compensation for Graduate Student Research Assistants, and the manner in which that cost is shared between sponsored project funds and University or School funds. March 2003 update incorporates the function of the University's PeopleSoft Graduate Financial Support System.
The 1993 revisions to OMB Circular A-21 required Stanford and other universities to charge tuition for Research Assistants working on sponsored projects directly to those projects beginning September 1, 1997. Stanford's Graduate Financial System automatically calculates a Tuition Allowance as part of all Graduate Student Assistantship appointments (see Administrative Guide 24.2, Graduate Student Assistantships, pdf file)
A 50% Research Assistant will receive a per-quarter Tuition Allowance equal to the value of 8-9-10 units of tuition for each quarter of the appointment. Students with appointments of less than 50% receive a proportionately smaller amount of Tuition Allowance. (See Tuition Allowance tables.) Except in the case of Terminal Graduate Registration (TGR) students, no Tuition Allowance will be paid during Autumn, Winter or Spring quarters unless the student is enrolled for 8-9-10 units. Departments may override this enrollment requirement in the case of students who need less than 8-9-10 units in order to reach TGR status.
Tuition charges and Tuition Allowance are based on the student's home school tuition rate, regardless of the location of the assistantship.
The University requires that any outside tuition support to which students have access will be used to the full extent before Tuition Allowance is claimed. Acceptance of a Stanford assistantship appointment obliges a student to inform the department of any other aid received.
Except for TGR tuition, the cost of the Tuition Allowance is shared between the sponsored project funds supporting the assistantship and Stanford University or School funds. The manner is which this cost is shared will differ between the School of Medicine and all other Schools.
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATORS OUTSIDE OF THE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
65% of the cost of Tuition Allowance for Research Assistants is charged directly to the source of funding that supports the Research Assistant's salary. The remaining 35% of the cost of Tuition Allowance is charged to University General Funds, or in the Graduate School of Business, to the School. The tuition charge will be based on the tuition rate applicable to the School and the degree program in which the student is registered.
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATORS IN THE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
81% of the cost of Tuition Allowance for Research Assistants is charged directly to the source of funding that supports the Research Assistant's salary. The remaining 19% of the cost of Tuition Allowance will be absorbed within the School of Medicine. In budgeting Research Assistant positions, Principal Investigator's should use either the graduate student or medical student rate, based on best judgment about who will fill the position(s). The tuition charge will be based on the tuition rate applicable to the School and degree program in which the student is registered.
TGR tuition is not shared; the full TGR rate is charged to the project on which the student is working.
The Graduate Financial Support (GFS) System will automatically calculate the Tuition Allowance associated with a Research Assistantship appointment, including the appropriate charges to project and to University or School funds.
No indirect costs will be charged against Tuition Allowance. The amount of Tuition Allowance to be charged to University or school funds can be shown as cost-sharing on sponsored project proposals. This policy regarding the charging of Tuition Allowance will apply to all sponsored projects, including non-government grants and contracts.