Selected Reference Resources
Suggested SearchWorks Subject Searches
- ComAbstracts : Database contains abstracts of articles published in the primary professional literature of the communications field.
- Communication studies : Searchable full-text of 16 journals on Journalism, Public Opinion, Political Communication, Mass Communication, Interpersonal Communication, Cultural Studies / Intercultural Communication, Television / Film Studies, Media Studies, Business Communication, Organizational / Management Communication, Written Communication, Rhetoric, and Literacy Studies.
- The International Central Institute for Youth and Educational Television (IZI)Literature Database : open access database containing over 22.000 international references and online documents focusing on children’s, youth and educational television.
To find reality television programs, look up the title in Searchworks but remember to limit to Format: Video.
Websites of Interest
- The history of pop culture, Open Directory Project
- Blinkx TV : watch Full Episodes of TV Shows Online
- Moving Image Archive (from the Internet Archive): This library contains thousands of digital movies uploaded by Archive users which range from classic full-length films, to daily alternative news broadcasts, to cartoons and concerts. Many of these videos are available for free download.
- San Francisco Bay Area Television Archive : Established in 1982, the TV Archive preserves over 4000 hours of newsfilm, documentaries and other programs produced locally in the Bay Area and Northern California between 1939-2005. It is part of SF State Library’s Department of Special Collections.
 http://searchworks.stanford.edu/?q=Popular Culture&qt=search_subject&per_page=20
 http://searchworks.stanford.edu/?q=Mass media and culture&qt=search_subject&per_page=20
 http://searchworks.stanford.edu/?q="Violence in mass media"&search_field=subject_terms&sort=pub_date_sort desc, title_sort asc
 http://searchworks.stanford.edu/?q=Reality television programs&qt=search_subject&per_page=20
 http://searchworks.stanford.edu/?q=Television broadcasting Social aspects&qt=search_subject&per_page=20