Policies and Initiatives: Sustainable Purchasing
In keeping with Stanford's commitment to the environment, we encourage departments to adhere to green purchasing practices whenever possible, taking into account the environmental impact, including but not limited to the financial and environmental cost of manufacturing, transporting and disposing of the product.
We encourage suppliers to offer environmentally-friendly alternatives, where available, at a competitive price.
The EPA's 5 Guiding Principles
- Include environmental considerations as part of the normal purchasing process
- Emphasize pollution prevention early in the purchasing process
- Examine multiple environmental attributes and costs throughout a product or service's life cycle
- Compare relevant environmental impacts when selecting products and services
- Collect accurate and meaningful information about environmental performance and use it to make purchasing decisions