How To: Request Subsistence Payment and Travel Grant for Visitors
Who does this? Stanford administrators in cooperation with payment recipient
When? The department offers a subsistence payment and/or travel grant (fellowship) to a visitor (non-Stanford employee). See Overview: Student Awards and Travel and Book Grants.
How? Stanford administrators complete the SU-21 Form and forward the original form and required backup documents to Payroll for payment.
Request Subsistence Payment and/or Travel Grant for Visitors (9 steps)
Open or print the SU-21 Form.
Select a Payment Type:
- Select Fellowship payment type.
Complete Payee Information:
- Enter Payee's Name (last, first).
- Check the Social Security Number or ITIN box unless Payee (visitor) has a Stanford ID Number and enter the number.
Note: If Payee is from a country with a Tax Treaty with the U.S. and would like to benefit from the treaty, provide a Social Security Number or ITIN.
- Enter Payee's Mailing Address.
- Enter requesting Department Name.
- Enter requesting Dept. Mail Code.
Select Payment Delivery Method:
- Select Send check to Dept. Mail Code.
- Select Hold check for pick up at Payroll & Payments Services Will Call.
Note: Repetitive monthly payments are mailed to arrive to the department mail code by the last day of each month. Repetitive payment recipients are encouraged to enroll in direct deposit.
~ OR ~
Complete PTA Information and Payment Amount:
- Enter PTA account information for payment.
- Enter number of payments (if repetitive; enter 1 for one-time payment).
- Enter the date range if repetitive payments.
- Specify Amount of each payment.
- Indicate the business purpose / program description for the payment and special instructions, if any, in the Remarks field (limit entry to field visible area).
Declare Payee's tax status information:
Subsistence payments and travel grants to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and residents for tax purposes are taxable to the recipient, but not reported by Stanford on a tax document. Stanford does not withhold tax from these payments. Recipients may need to make quarterly tax payments to IRS and State of California. See Form 1040-ES at the IRS web site and 540-ES at the State of California Franchise Tax Board web site. A letter summarizing the payments greater than $600.00 is mailed to recipient each January and should be used in year-end tax reporting.
Subsistence payments and travel grants to Non-Resident Aliens of the U.S. are subject to 14% Federal tax withholding and are reported on Tax Form 1042-S. Form 1042-S is mailed yearly by March 15. Recipients may need to make quarterly tax payments to State of California. See Form 540-ES at the State of California Franchise Tax Board web site.
U.S. Permanent Resident
Non-Resident Alien (neither U.S. Citizen nor U.S. Permanent Resident)
- Select I am not a U.S. Citizen AND I am not a U.S. Permanent Resident.
- Provide Payee a LA-6 Form to list all dates of his/her presence in the U.S.
- The information on the LA-6 Form is used to determine the Payee's tax status in the U.S.
- If Payee is from a country with a Tax Treaty with the U.S. AND would like to benefit from the tax treaty, Payee needs to complete a W8-BEN Form. A Social Security Number or ITIN is required in 2 of 7 – Payee Information on the SU-21 Form.
- The following documents are required from Payee:
- A copy of foreign passport
- A copy of signed DS-2019 or I-20 (sponsored by Stanford, issued from Bechtel)
- A copy of I-94 Card (Departure Card)
- Completed LA-6 Form
Enter Preparer's information:
- Type in Preparer's name.
- Enter Preparer's phone extension (i.e., x-xxxx).
- Enter the date.
Gather signatures and required documents:
- Print the completed SU-21 Form.
- Collect Payee's signature in the 5 of 7 – Declaration of Tax Status section where tax status selection is made, and/or required documents (see Step 6). .
- Collect approval signature, phone extension and date.
- Attach all required backup documents.
Submit the form to Payroll (MC: 8440), or fax to 1-650-723-7238.
What Happens Next?
- SU-21 one-time payments are processed each Friday. Checks are available for pick up at the Payroll & Payments Services Will Call at the University Cashier's Office after 3 PM.
- Cashier's Office hours are 9 AM - 5 PM Monday - Friday.
- If you have questions, please submit a HelpSU ticket.