How To: Verify Employment Eligibility (I-9)
Before You Start
It is required that:
- Employees complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 on the first day of work
- Department/HR Administrators verify all employees' employment eligibility, including employees returning to Stanford after a break in service, within 3 business days from the employees' first day of work
- See Resources: Examples of Completed Form I-9.
- Department/HR Administrators should establish mechanisms to stay aware of upcoming new hires to facilitate Form I-9 collection and submission.
Read Policy Notes: Rules and Regulations for I-9 Compliance.
Continuing Stanford employees with expiring supporting documents must be re-verified by the Department/HR Administrator or the Student Services Center when new documents are received and before the existing documents expire. See How To: Update Employment Eligibility (I-9).
Click each block to navigate through detailed instructions for each step:
- Submit a HelpSU ticket to Payroll (Category Category: Financial Support and Request Type: Payroll) for any questions.