How To: Review and Approve Journal Entries
Who does this? Individuals with approval authority over the PTAs charged in an iJournal.
When? Transactions created in iJournals require review and approval by authorized personnel for each PTA charged in the journal.
How? Using the Workflow Notifications module of Oracle Financials. Approvals are performed after confirming that:
- The expenditure is reasonable, necessary and comply with all University policies,
- The charges are correct, allowable for the account, allocable, and properly coded,
- Charges are appropriately documented and are recorded in a consistent manner, and
- Funds are available in the account being charged.
Review and Approve Journal Entries (6 steps)
Find journals to approve:
- Enter ofweb in your web address bar.
- Enter your SUNet ID and password as prompted.
- Click SU Workflow Notifications link in the left box in the Navigator.
- Click Notifications link in the right box in the Navigator.
Note: Notifications can also be received in email. The notification contains a link to the Notifications Worklist.
Open the notification to see transaction details:
- Click iJournal [X] requires your approval link in the Subject column.
Open the Journal Display:
- Click click here link in the line of text under the iJournal line details that says If you need to view the journal details after opening Oracle, click here to open the Journal Display.
Review the journal :
- Examine the Journal Display for correctness.
- Close the window to return to the Notification.
Approve or reject the journal:
- Click Approve button if the journal is correct.
~ OR ~
- Enter an explanation in the Note box at the bottom of the notification.
- Click Reject button to return the journal to the originator for correction.
Continue or finish review:
- Click the appropriate link to review another transaction.
- Click the logout link at the top if finished.
~ OR ~
What Happens Next?
- After full approval, the journal transactions are posted to the General Ledger.
- For additional help, submit a HelpSU ticket. Select Request Category Administrative Applications and Request Type Oracle Financials.