Bulletin: Time Reporting and Payroll During Winter Closure (Posted November 13, 2012)
On this page:
Time & Leave Reporting and Approval Deadlines
Axess Timecard entries for the first pay period in December (December 1 – 15) should be approved by NOON on Monday, December 17, 2012. Supervisors should be especially careful when approving Axess Timecard entries for the December 15th pay period in order to minimize any pay corrections that may need to be facilitated by your department prior to the Winter Closure. All requests for missing pay must be submitted in PeopleSoft using the Off-Cycle Check Webform, and must have the appropriate department approvals. Payroll will accept requests for missing pay through the close of business on Friday, December 21.
Axess Timecard entries for the December 16 – 31 period should be completed by the end of the business day on Friday, December 21, prior to Winter Close. The approval deadline is 9PM on Tuesday, January 1, 2013.
Reporting Time in Axess Timecard
Designated Stanford holidays are December 24, 25 and January 1. Employees will also receive three additional days off with pay during the winter closure.
You may use the following options for covering the remaining closures dates:
- Floating Holiday for 2012
- Available Personal Time Off (PTO) for 2012
- Accrued Vacation Time
- Time off borrowed from December 2012 vacation accrual, which is normally not available for use until 1/1 (up to one month's accrual is permitted)
- Time off borrowed from 2013 PTO accrual (up to 24 hours for a full-time employee)
- Time off borrowed from 2013 Floating Holiday accrual (up to 8 hours for a full-time employee)
Use of sick time is not permitted during this period, except for those on approved short-term disability leave filed with Liberty Mutual.
Time off should be tracked in Axess Timecard as follows:
Holidays (12/24, 12/25 and 1/1)
- Exempt employees, both full and part time, do not track holidays. The timecard should be left blank on the holiday dates.
- Non-exempt full-time employees will be granted 8 holiday hours for each holiday automatically when they "Apply Schedule" for the pay period. Employees who do not have a pre-populated schedule should enter the appropriate number of holiday hours on each holiday.
- Non-exempt part-time employees will be granted holiday hours based on a pre-formulated system calculation when they "Apply Schedule" for the pay period. Employees who do not have a pre-populated schedule should enter the appropriate number of holiday hours on each holiday.
Additional Day Off With Pay
Treat like a normal work day:
- Exempt employees should leave blank.
- Non-exempt employees should leave their normal schedule in for that day.
Time Off Borrowed from 2013 PTO, Floating Holiday Accrual and December 2012 Vacation Accrual
Enter as you normally do:
- Axess Timecard has been programmed to allow overdrafts for December only.
- Employees who are negative because of borrowed time will have the difference subtracted, either from:
- Vacation from their December 2012 grant
- Floating Holiday and PTO from January 2013 grants
You will receive your pay for the 12/15 pay period one day early; Payday is Thursday, December 20. Direct deposits will post into bank accounts on Thursday, December 20 by 5PM. Online pay statements will be available in Axess for all employees (including those who receive live paychecks), on Tuesday, December 18. The 12/15 pay period is the last pay period of tax year 2012. Employees are encouraged to review their online pay statement for accuracy by Tuesday, December 18.
Employees Who Receive a Live Paycheck:
All live checks will be delivered to departments on Thursday, December 20. We encourage you to sign up for direct deposit instead of receiving a live check to guarantee that your pay will post to your bank account on payday. If you prefer to continue to receive a live check, please take care to pick up your paycheck from your department prior to the winter closure. Stop payments, if needed, will be processed following the winter closure.
See all 2012/2013 Winter Close information - Coming Soon.