Overview: Maintaining the Information Associated with Your PTAs
Awards, Projects, and Tasks (PTAs) ownership are defined by information called attributes. Attributes must be correct to ensure that university resources are accounted for and reported accurately, that reports are available to organizations and individuals, and that only appropriate personnel have "authority" to view financial data associated with their PTAs.
On this page:
- When PTA Attributes Need Updating
- Updating PTA Attributes Using the ePTA Maintenance Application
- Who Can Use ePTA Maintenance
- What ePTA Users Need to Know
When PTA Attributes Need Updating
Personnel changes and changes in reporting structures within schools and departments often necessitate updates to PTA attributes.
Some critical attributes are:
- Owning Organizations (e.g. school or department) – The organization that manages the project, task, or award
- Principal Owners – Individual who owns the project (such as a faculty member). Person can be a "target" for authority and reporting. May be a person's name or a choice from a short list of "positions" such as Dean or Chairman. For a real person, must be a valid SUNet ID. Position choices include President, Provost, Director, Dean, Chair, Division Chief, Program Director, Coach.
- Principal Managers – The local financial person responsible for the project and its reconciliation. This role does not confer any "authority" to the person.
Updating PTA Attributes Using the ePTA Maintenance Application
ePTA is an online application in Oracle Financials that allows easy maintenance of these PTA attributes. Changing owning organizations, managers, owners (for non-sponsored accounts), and expenditure statement distribution for a project, task, and/or award can be done directly in the ePTA Maintenance module in Oracle. ePTA allows authorized users to make single PTA attribute updates as well as mass updates to replace one person or org with another for multiple accounts. Authorized ePTA users may also update the distribution list for Expenditure Statements. The ePTA Maintenance tool also enables system validations to ensure accuracy.
Who Can Use ePTA Maintenance
Access to Oracle's ePTA Maintenance module is granted based on the Organization that "owns" the project, task, or award segment. Only someone with the appropriate "Org" authority can update the PTA segment's owning attributes. You can use Authority Manager to determine who has ePTA Maintenance authority for owning orgs.
What ePTA Users Need to Know
Changing PTA attributes can affect certain "authority" assigned to owners / managers. Some changes made in ePTA may require a corresponding change in Authority Manager.
Changing PTA attributes can also affect how reports are distributed.
ePTA users must read and understand How Changes to PTA Attributes Affect Authority and Reporting Systems.
For instructions on updating PTA attributes using ePTA, see How To: Update PTA Roles/Owning Attributes (for single PTA or mass updates).