How To: Review and Approve Journal Entries
Before You Start
Be prepared to determine if:
- The expenditure is reasonable, necessary and compliant with all University policies,
- The charges are correct, allowable for the account, allocable, and properly coded,
- Charges are appropriately documented and are recorded in a consistent manner, and
- Funds are available in the account being charged.
Approvers do not have the option of modifying the journal. If an approver finds anything wrong with a journal, they must reject the journal in order to return it to the originator for modification and re-routing.
- After the journal is fully approved, the journal transactions are posted to the General Ledger.