How To: Create a New Journal
Step 5 – Complete Approver Routing on Routinglist Screen
Depending upon the journal form type, approvers are selected based on either PTAs debited or credited.
- The journal is routed, in sequence, to the approvers and any FYI recipients listed on the routing list.
- After the final approval, the iJournals system validates the journal a final time to ensure nothing has changed (e.g., PTA segment closed) since the transaction was submitted.
- If the journal is valid, it will post to the General Ledger. If it is not valid, the system rejects the journal and sends a notice to the originator, with copies to approvers and/or FYI recipients. The originator must update the journal and resubmit.
- Journal originators are responsible for monitoring the approval status of their journals. Journals must be completely approved, including end-routes, by the cut-off date each month to be included in the month's activities. See Overview: Month-End Close and refer to Month-End Close Deadlines.
- At the end of each month, the Information Systems and Reporting group will change the period of any unapproved journals in the system to the following month (e.g., the period for any November journals not approved by the cut-off will automatically be changed to December). An unapproved journal will remain active in the system until it is fully approved.