Starting in the Summer of 2011, Stanford requires all newly-hired faculty
to complete a training module on identifying and reporting conflicts of
This self-paced web/video module provides an overview of high-risk
situations which can lead to conflicts of interest for faculty
*READ THIS TO AVOID PROBLEMS WITH YOUR GRANTS/CONTRACTS FROM NIH AND OTHER PHS AGENCIES. *
NEW REQUIREMENT FOR ONLINE TRAINING ABOUT CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
Faculty who receive NIH or other PHS grants and contracts MUST complete on-line training about Conflicts of Interest before any funds for new grants or competing/non-competing renewals that are received by Stanford on or after August 24, 2012 can be released for expenditures. This training must be renewed every 4 years.
NOTE: Any new faculty who completed the previous Stanford COI training module over the past year and who have or expect to apply for NIH/PHS funding must repeat it.
- This module is available to the entire Stanford community (requires
a SUNet ID)
Use this link to enroll in STARS and begin training
- Once in STARS, follow the steps below. Each time you click a button or link you will be taken to a new page
1. Click the Register Button
2. Click the Continue Button
3. Click the Launch Button
4. Click the Launch Link to begin the training module
- Estimated time to complete this module is approximately 30 minutes.
- The module is intended to be completed in one session. "Bookmarking"
to allow a user to return later to the same spot within the module
is not available.
- All pages/slides within the module must be viewed in order for
completion to be recorded.
Tips for using STARS in Axess
||Internet Explorer 7, 8, or 9; Firefox 3.xx or 7.0
|Windows Vista or 7
||Internet Explorer 7, 8, or 9
|Mac OS X
||Firefox 3.xx or 7.0; Safari 3.1 or higher
Users are strongly encouraged to use these recommended browsers as others may not be fully compatible with Axess.
In order for Axess/PeopleSoft to work properly:
- Pop-up Blockers must be turned off
- Cookies must be enabled
Questions about this training module should be directed to the
administrator or associate dean responsible for Conflict of Interest questions in your school.
Additional Training Materials
The following materials can provide additional background information
on this subject: