Classic EE379 Series Courses
- EE379A: Digital Communications - Signal Processing
- EE379B: Digital Communications - Coding
- EE379C: Advanced Digital Communications
Please click here to get more info on the members of Prof. Cioffi's research group. For more information on current research activities refer to Dynamic Spectrum Management page.
- Communications Signal Processing
- Coding and their applications to data transmission and storage.
- B.S., University of Illinois (1978)
- M.S., Stanford University (1979)
- Ph.D., Stanford University (1984)
- 2014 IEEE Leon K. Kirchmayer, Graduate Teaching Award
- 2013 IEEE Armstrong Achievement Award
- Honory Doctorate, Edinburgh University, 2010
- IEEE Alexander Graham Bell Medal 2010
- International Fellow Royal Society of Engineering (UK) (2009)
- Marconi Fellow (2006)
- Holder of Hitachi America Endowed Professor ship of Electrical Engineering (2002)
- Member, National Academy of Engineering (2001)
- IEEE Kobayashi Medal (2001)
- Dynamic Spectrum Management T1E1.4 Editor, American National Standards (2001-present)
- IEEE Third Millennium Medal (2000)
- IEE J. J. Thomson Medal (2000)
- University of Illinois Outstanding Alumni Award (1999)
- Member, USA National Research Council Computer Science and Telecommunications Board (1998-2003)
- IEEE Fellow (1996-present)
- Outstanding Achievment Award, American National Standards Institute for contributions to ADSL (1995)
- Chief Editor, IEEE JSAC (Signal Processing and Coding for Recording) (1992)
- Co-founder and Chief Technical Officer of Amati Communications Inc. (1991-1997) (acquired by Texas Instruments in 1997)
- Associate Editor, IEEE JSAC (High-Speed Digital Subscriber Lines) (1991)
- Faculty Development Award, IBM Research (1986-1988)
- Elected Member, ASSP Society DSP committee (1987-1993)
- NSF Presidential Investigator (1987-1992)
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on ASSP (Adaptive Filtering) (1985-1987)
View Wikipedia Page
To view these publications please click here [pdf].
To view these conference papers click here [pdf]
Best Paper Awards
- J.M. Cioffi, S. Jagannathan, M. Mohseni, G. Ginis, “CuPON: The Copper Alternative to PON 100 Gb/s DSL Networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, June 2007, pp. 132-139. Outstanding Paper Award.
- Majjigi, V., O'Neill, D., Huppert, C., and Cioffi, J., “Multi-User Buffer Control with Drift Fields,” 2010 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM 2010), December 2010, pp.1-5. IEEE Globecom Best Paper Award.
- Charafeddine, M., Zhu Han, Paulraj, A., and Cioffi, J., “Crystallized Rates Region of the Interference Channel via Correlated Equilibrium with Interference As Noise,” IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2009 (ICC '09) Dresden, Germany, pp. 1-6. IEEE International Conference on Communications Best Paper Award.
- S. Jagannathan, C. S. Hwang, J. M. Cioffi, “Margin Optimization in Digital Subscriber Lines Employing Level-2 Dynamic Spectrum Management,” IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Beijing, China, May 2008, pp. 435-440. Best Paper Award, Signal Processing for Communications Symposium.
- Yu, D.D., Kibeom Seong, Cioffi, J.M., “Multiuser Discrete Bit-loading for Digital Subscriber Lines,” IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2007 (ICC '07), Glasgow, Scotland, UK, June 2007, pp. 2755-2760. Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Communications.
- Hwang, Chan-Soo, Seong, Kibeom, John. M. Cioffi, “Opportunistic p-persistent CSMA in wireless networks,” IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2006, pp. 183-188. Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Communications.
- J.M. Cioffi, M. Mohseni, “Dynamic Spectrum Management – A methodology for providing significantly higher broadband capacity to the users,” 15th International Symposium on Subscriber Loops (ISSLS 2004). Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, March 2004. Best Paper Prize.
- JM Cioffi, WL Abbott, HK Thapar, CM Melas, KD Fisher, “Adaptive Equalization in Magnetic-Disk Storage Channels,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol 28, No 2, Feb. 1990, pp. 14-29. IEEE Communications Society Best Paper Award.
- Chapters for EE379A: ch01, ch02, ch03, ch06
- Chapters for EE379B: ch03, ch08, ch09, ch10, ch11
- Chapters for EE379C: ch04, ch05
- Chapters for EE479 : ch12, ch13, ch14, ch15
Patent List [pdf]
Boards of Directors
Boards of Trustees