Global Center for Development and Democracy
Summer 2012 Fellow: Allen Xu
Summer 2012 Fellow Email: email@example.com
Faculty Mentor: Martin Carnoy
Faculty Mentor Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Global Center for Development and Democracy works to promote a social agenda for democracy in Latin America. The GCDD focuses its work on understanding and leveraging the connections among democracy, poverty, and economic growth towards a better and more comprehensive approach to Latin American development. The Center supports and directs targeted interventions that work at a micro level to incorporate the specific cultural and human needs of diverse peoples. All initiatives aim particularly towards incorporating sustainability and justice with the needs of a growing capital economy and at connecting small scale successes to broad applications and a larger framework of progress.
Office Website: www.cgdd.net
Projects Fellows Have Worked on in the Past:
- Economic development project in the Lurin River basin to improve the management and organization of public and private sectors
- Prepared for the visit of Dr. Muhammad Yunus with an organizing community which involved researching and presenting information about microfinance
Desired Personal Qualities:
The fellow should be able to take significant personal initiative, should be interested in learning not only about the academic side of development but also about the cultural, historical, and social structures at work in Peru, and should be comfortable in a mature and fast-paced environment.
Desired Skills, Experience, and Coursework:
- Economics, particularly development economics and labor economics
- Experience implementing development initiatives or other organizational background
- Experience working in South America and a deep interest in the continent
- Strong writing, oral communication, and presentation skills
Main Fellowship Disciplines:
- Political Science
- International Relations
- Public Policy
- Latin American Studies
Knowledge of Spanish is required.