Instructions & Checklist
Use the Freshman Application Instructions PDF and the Freshman Requirements & Process web pages as guides to preparing your application to Stanford.
Download and print the Stanford Freshman Application Instructions
The Arts Supplement is optional and may be submitted if you have extraordinary talent in the arts.
- CREATE a Common Application account and select Stanford as one of your colleges.
- ACCESS all forms at commonapp.org. The First-Year Common Application and Stanford Writing Supplement must be submitted online.
- USE your official name on all testing and application documents.
- EMAIL email@example.com informing us if you used a different first name, last name or email address on testing documents.
- ADD firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book or safe senders list.
- ASK your counselor and teachers to submit all of their documents online.
- WRITE your Common Application ID number on the first page of any documents you fax or mail and on the Freshman Mailing Labels (PDF)
- SUBMIT your application ahead of deadlines to avoid technical difficulties.
- DO NOT send additional materials such as resumes, research papers, newspaper articles and writing samples. They will not be considered.
- VISIT International Applicants for additional information (if applicable).
Before You Click Submit
- USE the “Print Preview” feature in the Common Application to confirm content.
- PRINT and save copies of your application and all submitted materials.
After You Click Submit
- CONFIRM that you have successfully submitted both your Common Application and Stanford Writing Supplement in the Stanford section of your Common Application account.
Checking Your Application Status
- CHECK your application status regularly once we have confirmed receipt of your application. This may take up to three weeks after you have submitted your materials.
Required Application Components
- The First-Year Common Application
- The Stanford Writing Supplement
- $90 nonrefundable application fee or fee waiver request
- Official Testing (SAT or ACT Plus Writing) sent from the College Board or ACT
- School Report
- Official Transcript(s)
- Two Teacher Evaluations
- Midyear Report
*PDF documents require the free downloadable Adobe Acrobat Reader software for viewing.
December 11, 2013 11:04 AM