Interested in a minor in Sociology? Declare on Axess!
35 units of Sociology coursework are required for the Sociology Minor. every course counted towards the major must earn a grade of C or better (effective 9/1/2011).
- SOC 1: Introduction to Sociology
- SOC 180A: Foundations of Social Research; and/or SOC 180B: Evaluation of Evidence
Choose at least two foundation courses, from two different areas of concentration (below). View detailed descriptions of these concentrations.
- Organizations, Business, and the Economy: SOC 114, SOC 160, or SOC 162
- Social Movements, Comparative Politics, and Social Change: SOC 106, SOC 110, SOC 118, SOC 119, or SOC 130
- Social Psychology and Interpersonal Processes: SOC 120, SOC 121, or SOC 127
- Social Stratification and Inequality: SOC 140, SOC 141, SOC 144, or SOC 149
- Race, Gender, Immigration, Identity, and Policy: SOC 135, SOC 142, SOC 145, SOC 150, SOC 155, or SOC 164
Choose three additional Sociology courses, preferably in the areas of concentration associated with the foundation courses you will be taking. Courses are listed by area of concentration in the Stanford Bulletin.
- If you are declaring a minor in Sociology, you must do so before you apply to graduate on Axess.
- For more detailed information about the minor in Sociology, and for course listings, please see the Stanford Bulletin.
- If you cannot find the information you’re looking for or have questions, contact the sociology student services office.