ON THIS PAGE
How To Apply to the Coterminal Master’s Program
Applications for the coterminal MA program in Sociology are due January 15, 2014, to begin the program Spring Quarter, 2014. Applications will not be accepted at any other time. GRE scores are now required as part of the application process (general test only).
WE DO NOT HAVE AN MA PROGRAM FOR APPLICANTS WHO ARE NOT CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN A STANFORD DEGREE PROGRAM.
All application materials are submitted directly to Natasha Newson in the Sociology graduate student services office.
Students must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.5 to be admitted to the Sociology Coterminal MA program. The following materials are required for application to the program. Please carefully review detailed descriptions below:
All application forms are available via the registrar’s website.
- Please complete the application as neatly as possible.
- You will need to obtain a signature from your undergraduate program student services office.
- Don’t forget to sign the application!
- Download the application and other forms
The statement of purpose should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the Coterminal Master’s program in Sociology at Stanford.
- Recommended details to include in your written statement are: your study and research interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid our admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for pursuing a Master’s degree in Sociology.
- Most statements of purpose are three to five pages long.
- A recent transcript that you run yourself in Axess is sufficient.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty are required for admission to the program. We cannot admit students without letters from faculty who have had you in class – letters from PWR lecturers, advisors, lecturers, employers, TAs, etc. are not acceptable as “primary” letters. A quick search on "StanfordWho" can help you determine if your potential recommender is faculty or not.
- Please complete a recommendation coversheet (included in the forms from the registrar’s website) and give it to your recommender when you ask them to write your letter.
- Please notify your recommenders of the application deadline, and ask them to put the letters in a sealed envelope with their signature on the seal.
- We strongly encourage you to pick up your letters of recommendation and submit them along with the rest of your application to the Sociology department.
- Do not have the recommender mail the letter!
This form (page 5 of the PDF from the registrar’s website) is where you "map out" your Sociology course plans. Use Explore Courses to choose courses you plan to take. Please note: this outline is not set in stone! There is not a way to predict which courses will be scheduled for your time in the program, so give it your best shot. You do not have to adhere to the program proposal; it is part of the application.
There is no minimum score to apply. Only scores from the general test are required.
You may be eligible to transfer up to 10 units from your undergraduate career. These units cannot be from courses fulfilling GER or Major requirements. This form (page 6 of the PDF from the registrar’s website) should only be submitted if you are planning to transfer units. Your undergraduate student services office must sign this form.
We do not require a CV or resume for application, but if you would like to include yours that is fine.