The University regards the following items of information as "directory information," that is, information that the University may make available to any person upon specific request (and without student consent):
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Directory addresses and telephone numbers
- Email addresses
- SUNet ID (as opposed to Stanford Student ID Number)*
- Mailing addresses
- Campus office address (for graduate students)
- Secondary or permanent mailing addresses
- Residence assignment and room or apartment number
- Specific quarters or semesters of registration at Stanford
- Stanford degree(s) awarded and date(s)
- Major(s), minor(s), and field(s)
- University degree honors
- Student theses and dissertations*
- Participation in officially recognized sports or activities*
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams*
- Institution attended immediately prior to Stanford
- ID card photographs
For more information, see Stanford's FERPA web page at http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/registrar/students/ferpa.
Students may prohibit the release of any of the items listed above (except those with an '*') by designating which items should not be released on the Privacy function of Axess. Students may prohibit the release of all directory information listed above after an appointment with the Office of the University Registrar to discuss the ramifications of this action. Student theses and dissertations can be restricted through the publishing options and embargo settings students select during submission.
Students, faculty, and others with questions regarding student records should contact the Office of the University Registrar.