Waiting List Round
The Waitlist assignment round is held prior to the start of each quarter. When students apply for housing by the Waiting List deadline and choose “assign me to any residence for which I qualify” as their final application choice, they preserve their housing guarantee. If students are unassigned during a Waitlist round they should participate in the Continuous Assignments round for that quarter.
Who can Participate?
All students who apply for the Waiting List must be eligible to live in Student Housing.
Students Seeking Housing for Autumn
- Students who entered the Draw for Autumn quarter housing but were not assigned need to join the Waiting List to maintain their guarantee and position for Autumn housing. Please note that you must log into Axess after the Draw and join the Waiting List round in order to be considered. You may also modify your housing choices at that time.
- Students who missed the Draw deadline but would like housing for Autumn quarter should apply for housing by the Autumn Waiting List deadline. Students who apply by the Waiting List deadline and select “assign me to any residence for which I qualify” as their final application choice will maintain their guarantee for Autumn quarter housing.
- Students who miss both the Draw and Waiting List deadlines or are unassigned after the Waiting List round, should apply for the Continuous Assignments round.
Students Seeking Housing for Winter or Spring Quarter
- Students should apply by the Draw deadline in spring in order to receive the best possible position on the Winter or Spring Quarter Waiting List.
- Students who miss the Draw deadline but apply by the Waiting List deadline will go on the Winter or Spring Waiting List with a sequential application number based on the date the application was submitted.
- Students who leave for Winter quarter to go overseas should join the Spring Waiting list if they are returning to campus Spring quarter. If they meet the Waiting List deadline, they will use the same draw/ application number they used for Autumn Quarter housing.
- Students who miss both the Draw and Waiting List deadlines for any quarter or are unassigned after a Waiting List round should apply for that quarter’s Continuous Assignments round.
You must join a Waiting List round if you need to change your category of housing due to a change in marital or family status.
- If you wish to transfer from one category of housing to another due to a change in marital or family status, you may join the Graduate housing Waiting List.
NOTE: If you remain unassigned after the Waiting List round, you should participate in the Continuous Assignments round for that quarter. If you are still unassigned at the end of the Continuous Assignments period, you must rejoin the Waiting List for the next quarter by the published deadline if you still wish to be considered for assignment.
Waiting List Process
- The number of students on the Waiting List who are assigned a space is based on the number of housing spaces available. Spaces become available throughout the year when students cancel their housing assignments (to go abroad, live off campus, graduate, personal reasons, etc.).
- Waiting list applicants with a housing guarantee are offered spaces before unguaranteed students.
- The first housing assignment round for any academic year is called the Draw. The Draw takes place each spring for the next academic year. Students who need housing for Autumn, Winter, or Spring quarters should apply for housing by the Draw deadline in order to receive a first round Draw/ application number (number between 1-3400). First round Draw numbers are the lowest (or best) application numbers. Students who are unassigned during the Draw will keep their first round Draw number if they apply by the Waiting list deadline for the quarter they need housing.
- Students joining the Waiting List after the Draw deadline receive a sequential application number above 3500 based on the date they submitted their application.
- Students who join the Waiting List for a given quarter and are not assigned for that quarter, retain their application numbers if they join the Continuous Assignments round for that quarter. Likewise, if students are unassigned in the Continuous Assignments round they will retain their application numbers if they apply by the Waiting List deadline for the next quarter.
- Application numbers are assigned at the end of the application period after all applications have been processed; therefore, they are not available until assignments are announced.
- If a student cancels a housing assignment but remains enrolled at Stanford’s home campus, the student will lose his or her application number if the student applies for another quarter’s Waitling List round. In these cases, the student will be assigned a new, sequential number based on when he or she applies.
1. It is the student’s responsibility to check Axess to see if he or she has been assigned.
2. Click on Once You’re Assigned for room/roommate information, or Canceling your Housing to cancel an assignment.
Last modified Wed, 11 Jan, 2012 at 0:32