The undergraduate minor in Middle Eastern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures has been designed to give students majoring in other departments an opportunity to gain a substantial introduction to Middle Eastern and
African languages, and to the cultures and civilizations of the Middle East and Africa. Contact the minors adviser before declaring at email@example.com. Dr. Obeid may be reached at the following:
Dr. Khalid Obeid
Arabic Language Coordinator, and Minor Advisor
Stanford Language Center
Students declaring a minor must do so no later than the last day of the fourth quarter before degree conferral. For example, students graduating in June (Spring Quarter) must declare the minor no later than the last day of Spring Quarter of their junior year. If a student is not able to meet this deadline, he or she may petition the Language Center director and request a revised declaration date, which may be granted at the director's
The requirements for a minor in Middle Eastern Languages, Literatures,
and Cultures are:
- Completion of six courses in either the Cultural Studies Track or the Language Studies Track.
- Courses for the minor must be taken for a letter grade unless only offered for faculty-elected satisfactory/no credit.
- All courses must be completed with a letter grade of 'C' or better.
- Courses may not overlap with those taken for a major course of study.
- Courses taken which also fulfill a GER count toward fulfilling both minor and GER requirements.
- Students pursuing the Cultural StudiesTrack must complete the prerequisite of beginning level in the respective language, or demonstrate an equivalent competence.
Cultural Track requirements are:
- Completion of the language prerequisite, or a demonstrated equivalent competence.
- In the case of Arabic, completion of six non-language courses, including three from the AME program.
- In the case of Hebrew and African languages, completion of six non-language related courses. Consult minor adviser for course options.
- Course work from GER courses may be used to fulfill the unit requirements for the minor.
Language Track requirements are:
- Completion of prerequisite language study at the beginning level, or a demonstrated equivalent competence.
- Completion of one year of language study at the intermediate level.
- Completion of three non-language related courses, including one of the ARABLANG 10-16 series (formerly AMELANG 30-36) in the case of Arabic. Consult the minor adviser for course options.
- Completion of prerequisite language study at the advanced level in Arabic, Hebrew, or an African language, for the equivalent of three years of language study.
- Completion of one African and Middle Eastern literature and culture course relevant to the language studied in the case of Arabic or Hebrew; or, in the case of African languages, completion of one non-language African Studies course relevant to the language studied. Consult the minor adviser (firstname.lastname@example.org) for course options.
Completion of four years of language study, at least two of which must be concluded at Stanford.