- Arab Social Science Research: Social Science Virtual Library for Middle East Studies: A valuable new colletion on on-line research resources can be found at the home page of Arab Social Science Research, and its virtual library at either: http://www.assr.org/vlibrary/source.html or http://www.assr.org/vlibrary/topics.html. It is indexed by source such as governments, media, NGOs, and lots of other sources of interest to social scientists, with subheadings usually arranged by country. I think it is the most comprehensive set of links conveniently available for research over the net of relevance to the various social science disciplines. The virtual library also has a growing index by subject matter, such as government, politics, economics, and various regional issues.
- Arabic Teacher's Association - Comprehensive resource for Arabic studies. Includes information about summer programs in the US and abroad.
- Gulf/2000 Project of Columbia University - The Gulf/2000 Project of Columbia University announces a new public web site devoted to the countries and issues of the Persian Gulf. This is the most comprehensive collection of news, background and research data on the Persian Gulf available anywhere on the web. The selection of resources is based on our six years of experience following developments in the Gulf.
- Middle East Studies Association Bulletin
- Univ. of Texas Middle East Network Information Center - Especially good for maps.
- Al-Mashriq - Very strong on sites related to Lebanon
- The Free Arab Voice - Information on Arab civilization, language, science, religion and more.
- Arabic Natural Language Processing - Research and computational linguistic tools for Arabic from the Stanford Natural Language Processing Group.
- Islamic Art and Calligraphy - A wealth of Islamic calligraphy, featuring the seven different calligraphic styles, many full size gifs, and general information about Islamic calligraphy.
- Arab Art Exchange -The site for contemporary Arab art on the web. Announcing two new virtual exhibitions: Zaha Hadid: From Art to Architecture and Ahmad Moualla: An Homage to Saad-Allah Wannous. You can also view previous exhibitions including Mona Hatoum and Dia Azzawi, in addition to art reviews, links to other Arab art sites and the collection portfolios.
- Al Mashriq - Middle East - Music
- Arabic calligraphy Logo Designs:
- Shawshara.com: a community project aimed at documenting Arabic music and lyrics
- (Lebanese singer) Fairuz
- Middle Eastern Dance at Stanford
- Best of the Web - Arabic: a helpful resource for researching Arabic literature on the Internet
Newspapers and Magazines
- www.Ramadhan.Org - Independent reporting of the sighting of the moon for the start of Ramadhan and for 'Eid (non-Government controlled) in accordance to the hadith of the Prophet (saw) "Fast when you see the moon..." and "break your fast when you see the moon...." Daily Internet audio recordings on topical Islamic subjects, daily postings of Islamic cultural leaflets, tafseer of the Qur'an and hadith analysis, daily news from around the world of interest to Muslims, rcorded khutbah from Masjid al-Aqsa in al-Quds, news of the moon's sighting can be e-mailed to you directly, as well as any of the material that appears n the website.
- Amr's Arabic Archive
- Download the Quran ftp://leb.net/pub/reader/mac/quran.sea.hqx - A great version of the Quran that is in Arabic with two English interpretations in English can be downloaded. It is a Word document so you need MS Word 5.0 or better. It works great on a Mac. It was done by THE ISLAMIC COMPUTING CENTRE in London and is fully searchable by keyword, verse number, etc. With text-to-speach, you can even have the english part recited to you.
- Software for Arabic Macintosh
- http://www.arabiaware.comArabic Software. Company based in the Netherlands.
- NYU ACF Multilingual Web - Home - Arabic - The Multilingual Web site was developed by members of the Instructional Technology group in the Innovation Center at Academic Computing Facility (ACF) at NYU. It was begun in 1996 in an effort to provide a resource for the NYU community in such areas as multilingual computing resources and information and has expanded to become a notable Internet resource. Focusing on the seventeen languages taught at NYU including Arabic, the Website has links to such areas as technical issues in computing with non-Roman character sets, language learning software, news and media links in the native language, and more.
- The Arabic Tutor and Arabic CyberClassRoom - The Arabic Tutor is a complete Arabic language learning software for the Windows operating system with many multimedia capabilities. The Arabic CyberClassRoom is an extenson of this software on the web.
- My Arabic Teacher: www.arabicteacher.com - The first comprehensive multimedia Arabic language software with over 600 hours of audio-visual home-study classes for the whole family to be released for the summer of 1998. The contents of this page are only a small bit of what the program can offer to students as well as for the language schools as an advanced tool for language learning. This new teaching method is registered to PearlLink Software Int'l, Inc.
- Islamic.Finder by Dar Assirat - We are pleased to inform you of the Islamic Finder. With the IslamicFinder you can enter the zip-code of your desination and get the following: Local Masjids in the area, local Islamic organizations, local Islamic related businesses, distance, local prayer times, local weather, traveling directions and maps.
- Food: http://www.twdg.com/cooking/ - Visit Nadia's Middle Eastern Cooking Site. It is highly recomended to those of you who are not fimiliar with one of the most delicious foods in the world. If you have enjoyed it tell your friends; if not, tell Nadia!!
- Middle-Eastern Links Galore: www.1001sites.com
- Arab Countries' WWW sites - Explore the Middle East through Excite City.Net Travel
- The Lebanese-American Association has recently launched a web site at: www.laa.org
- The Fertile Crescent Home Page
- Guardian's Egypt
- Dating Service: www.IbnBatuta.com - The goal of this site is to provide worldwide dating service to Arab Americans, English speaking Arabs and all their friends.
- Fairuz web site - http://www.fairouz.com: Fairouz and Rahbani Brothers Tribute, latest news, songs (updated weekly), filmography, album reviews (updated biweekly), photo gallery, song lyrics (updated monthly), banners, message boards, articles, infomation center for 'Last Days Of Scorates', Fairouz related Links, weekly poll
- 100 questions about Arab Americans
* Listing of the above sites and the views expressed therein does not necessarily constitute an endorsement by, nor reflect the views of Stanford University, the Special Languages Division, or the Arabic language faculty.