ITS Web Site Restructure Project [FY2005-2006]
Description and Scope
Clients have let IT Services know via survey responses and individual comments that they would like to have a "one-stop-shopping" location on the Web by which they can learn about, acquire, and access support resources for IT Services offerings. In addition, the organization has identified a need to migrate business systems and internal process documentation to the Web.
Enhancements toward these ends will be delivered in three phases. Phase One involves the creation of a new IT Services client-facing home page, an internal (restricted-view) page, a new departmental AFS directory and file structure to accommodate these pages, the start of a migration into the new space, a new look-and-feel (of which this page is one example) and style guide for both client-facing and "intranet" pages, and the conversion of as many pages as possible into the new look-and-feel. Phase Two finishes the work of moving materials out of ITSS directory space and into IT Services space, including converting those remaining organization and project pages into the new look and feel. Phase Three delivers enhancements to the IT Services client-facing "home page," including: improved self-service functions; quicker access to service information, user instructions, account information, and ordering tools; and a web-based editing tool that facilitates page creation and updating.
Schedule and Status of Deliverables
Phase One: Site Restructuring and Redesign
September 1, 2005 - January 20, 2006
- November 3, 2005: /dept/its directory structure in place and ready to accommodate file migrations.
- December 15, 2005: New look-and-feel templates/styles approved and ready for use.
- January 15, 2005: IT Services client-facing and internal home site designs reviewed/approved by parties defined in commitment path.
- January 20, 2005: IT Services client-facing home page released; reformatting of service websites completed and released. Released IT Services internal home page and migrated and reformatted resource pages that are used by all IT Services staff (e.g., HR materials, communication tools, etc.).
Phase Two: Migration
January 23 - August 31, 2006
- March 24, 2006 (completed 3/29/06): Complete inventory of /dept/itss materials; identify DDD-migratable materials and recommend action on the remainder.
- August 31, 2006 (completed 8/23/06): Complete move of IT Services internal materials identified as DDD-migratable.
Phase Three: Automation
January 20, 2006 - May 30, 2007
- May 12, 2006: Complete technical plan for Phase Three site, including identification of specific automation and integration features.
- June 30, 2006: Complete inventory and indexing of service site content.
- August 24, 2006 (completed 8/22/06): New layout for main page, including dynamic rendering of OrderBox links/menus, ready for testing; OrderBox ready for testing. Implement system for easy site building and updating. Test within DDD.
- August 31, 2006 (completed 8/22/06): Database design complete; implementation of "order" links on all applicable service pages.
- September 2006 - August 2007: See ITS Web Site Automation Project page.