Forsythe Data Center Capacity Expansion
- Repurpose the first floor data center for additional computing space.
- Increase the available cooling capacity by approximately 310 Tons.
- Improve the electrical system by installing a new UPS and battery room on the first floor. This includes installation of two new 675kW UPS units and associated battery strings.
- Replace the existing two smaller generators with two 900kW units.
- Support an additional 100+ cabinets.
Construction activities will take place inside and outside Forsythe Hall. The project will run from August 2007 through March 2008. Some of the work will include trenching, drilling, saw cutting, chilled water and electrical piping, and cabling. All of these activities can be noisy.
The IT Services staff who work in Forsythe Hall will be the ones most impacted by the construction. While the noise level will be minimal during demolition, things will get louder when excavation and construction begin in September and will remain noisy through November. Neighboring buildings — especially Polya (including the PHIL instructional lab in Polya 170B) and Turing Auditorium — will also experience an increase in noise level.
Here is an estimate of the disruption levels during the three main phases:
||Low to Medium
|September, 2007 to November, 2007
||Excavation & Construction
|December, 2007 to March, 2008
||Commissioning & Testing
||Low to Medium
Throughout the course of construction, the project team will make every effort to provide as much advanced notice as possible regarding scheduled activities. Please work with your manager to determine the best work alternative on days when the noise level is high.
We appreciate your understanding and support. If you have any questions, please contact your manager. You can also contact Chai Ho, the cognizant IT Services project manager (725-9347) or Tom Prussing, the Forsythe Building Manager (725-6168).