Exploring Stanford -
Staff Development Seminar
Overview and Purpose
The Exploring Stanford Staff Development Seminar will provide 10 to 12 staff members from across the University with an opportunity to gain a greater understanding of the University’s mission, operations, and culture. Sponsored by the Provost, at the recommendation of the Diversity Cabinet, the purpose of the seminar is to identify and develop a diverse group of staff members who have demonstrated an interest in and potential for leadership roles at the University. The program seeks to broaden participant’s understanding of the University through discussions with key University leaders.
The Staff Development Seminar will meet for dinner one evening each month during the academic year. Meetings will include a featured "guest" from throughout the University who will focus on three areas:
- Sharing their own "story", including specific challenges they have faced in their careers and how they overcame these challenges;
- A description of the role their department or unit plays at the University and an account of the current challenges and opportunities faced by the department / unit;
- Typical career opportunities within their department / unit including the types of knowledge, skills, competencies, and experiences needed to be successful.
Objectives and Outcomes:
- Better understand the goals and leadership of the University.
- Meet and network with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Learn from current leaders what their leadership journey has been and how they became successful.
- Learn about career paths and opportunities for advancement at the University.
Selection of Participants:
The Staff Development Program is under review for the 2011-2012 academic year.