Coterminal Master of Arts Degree Application Requirements
The Coterminal M.A. degree program allows Stanford undergraduates to study for a master’s degree while completing their bachelor’s degree(s) in the same or a different department. Undergraduates with strong academic records may apply for admission to a coterminal master’s program upon completion of 120 units, but no later than the quarter prior to the expected completion of the undergraduate degree. Full-time enrollment during Summer Quarters, as well as allowable undergraduate transfer credit, are also counted towards quarters of undergraduate study. Students who wish to apply for a master’s program after these deadlines must apply through the regular graduate admissions process. For the terminal M.A. degree program please see Admissions - Doctor of Philosophy and Terminal Master of Arts.
The deadline for graduate applications to the Coterminal M.A. degree program is December 11, 2012. Stanford University undergraduate majors are eligible to apply for the coterminal master’s degree program with a 3.5 GPA in their department major, a 3.0 GPA in overall course work, and with no more than one incomplete listed on the transcript at the time of application. Please note that Coterminal master's degree applicants are not required to submit their Graduate Record Examination scores.
Prospective applicants should see http://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/cotermdegrees/#text for the application forms and further information about the application process.
Department Application Requirements
Applicants must submit the following:
- Application for Admission to Coterminal Master’s Program
- Preliminary Program Proposal, Coterminal Degree Program
- Coterminal Course Approval Form
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- All relevant transcripts
- A 2-3 page, singled-spaced Statement of Purpose
- For further information on how to write a personal statement please contact your faculty recommenders. You may also contact current graduate students in Anthropology.
- For tips on writing Statement of Purpose and Personal Statement Essays, please see http://www.stanford.edu/dept/undergrad/cgi-bin/drupal_ual/ARS_help_writi....
- Writing Sample in English: A 10-12 page paper giving evidence of both writing ability and the capacity for research, analysis, and original thought at the graduate level, and demonstrating the ability to use theory in relation to evidence. If your writing sample is longer than 10-12 pages, please indicate which 10-12 pages should be reviewed by the admissions committee.
The Department of Anthropology Graduate Admissions Committee will review the application and accompanying materials. Please deliver the materials, inclusive of the writing sample, forms, transcripts, and letters of recommendation, to the department located at address:
Department of Anthropology
Graduate Admissions Committee
450 Serra Mall, Main Quadrangle
Building 50, Room 51E
Stanford, CA 94305-2034
M.A. Application Deadline: Tuesday, December 11, 2012
It is highly suggested by this department that a student, who accepts an offer of admission to the ANTHRO Coterminal Master's program, defers their Undergraduate B.A. conferral until the Graduate M.A degree requirements have been completed. The student can then request to graduate in both the B.A. and M.A. simultaneously. Please see the Student Services Specialist for details.
Please contact the Undergraduate Student Services Specialist if you have any questions regarding the status of your application to the Coterminal M.A. degree program in the Department of Anthropology.
Department of Anthropology Contact Information: