Graduate Admissions for New Students
Please note that our Master of Science degree requirements will be changing beginning in the 2014-2015 academic year. Students admitted to begin in Autumn 2014 or later must follow the new requirements. Please see the 2014-2015 MS Requirements.
Applications for our graduate programs will be accepted beginning in September 2014 for Autumn Quarter 2015-2016. We do not admit full-time students for Winter or Spring Quarters. The deadline for our doctoral program is 11:59pm PST on December 2, 2014, and the deadline for our master program is 11:59pm PST on January 13, 2015.
Information on financing graduate study at Stanford is available from the Office of Graduate Admissions web site.
Beginning in September, you may access the web application and detailed instructions on the Office of Graduate Admissions web site.
You may view your application status and decision on your application activity page. Log back into your online application, and click on "Review Your Activity".
Application materials required:
- ONLINE APPLICATION
- RECOMMENDATION LETTERS: Three letters of recommendation, submitted by recommenders through the online application.
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: Submitted as part of the online application.
- RESUME: A resume or curriculum vitae (CV) submitted as part of the online application.
- TRANSCRIPTS: A scanned copy of each transcript is submitted as part of the online application. Please see transcript directions for more information.
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS: Two original official copies of each transcript must be sent by mail. Please see transcript directions for more information.
- OFFICIAL GRE SCORES: We must receive the official scores from ETS. Please notify us if the name or birthdate on your application does not match the name or birthdate on your test scores.
- OFFICIAL TOEFL SCORES: Required of applicants whose first language is not English. Please see link for exceptions. We must receive the official scores from ETS. Please notify us if the name or birthdate on your application does not match the name or birthdate on your test scores.
If you are not sending official etranscripts, please have original official transcripts sent to:
Management Science and Engineering - Graduate Admissions
Huang Engineering Center
475 Via Ortega, Suite 141
Stanford CA 94305-4121
Please send original official transcripts by regular mail or independent courier. Do not use express, registered, or certified mail that requires a delivery signature through the postal service, as the postal service is currently refusing to attempt delivery inside our building, and we cannot go to the post office to pick up the mail. Many packages sent this way are returned to sender. Most independent courier services will deliver inside our building, and will be accepted.
Please do not send hard copy of anything other than original official transcripts. Everything will be evaluated online only, with the original official transcript used for verification of your upload. Please do not send a cover letter with your original official transcript, unless the name on your transcript does not match the name on your application. Thank you.
It is not necessary to consult or correspond with a Stanford faculty member regarding your application.
We frequently have trouble with hotmail blocking email from Stanford. You may want to use a different email provider for your application. We occasionally have trouble with email we send to gmail accounts being categorized as spam. Please be sure to check your spam folders for email from us.
Decisions will be made by mid-March. We need to review the whole application pool to determine which are the top applicants. We are unable to provide reasons for our decisions.