AAAS Major and Minor Requirements
By carefully designing a major or minor emphasis, students focus on an area of scholarly interest related to people of African descent. Possible emphases: Africa, African America Caribbean, African Diaspora, Mixed Race, IDA, Gender, Race Theory, Historical Period, and more
AAAS encourages a rigorous and creative, interdisciplinary program of study. Students work with a faculty advisor, the AAAS Associate Director, and the AAAS Director in developing a course of study and in developing a coherent emphasis within their major that reflects their scholarly interests in the field. All courses for the major must be taken for a letter grade. Refer to completing the major document to understand the writing requirement.
60 Units Total
1. AFRICAAM 105 or AFRICAAM 143.
2. One Social Science course from AAAS approved core course list.
3. One Humanities course from AAAS approved core course list.
4. One course in African Studies.
5. AFRICAAM 200X: Honors Thesis & Senior Thesis Seminar. (WIM)
6. 35 units of AAAS Core and Related courses.
Similar to the requirements for the major, students develop a coherent theme for their course selection. They complete a minimum of 25 units form the list of AAAS courses. All courses for the minor must be taken for a letter grade.
30 units total
1) (5 units) AFRICAAM 105 or AFRICAAM 143
2) (5 units) one course social sciences course from AAAS approved core course
3) (5 units) one course humanities course from AAAS approved core course
4) (15 units) any unit combination of courses from the AAAS approved core or cognate courses