|9/24||4:15pm||7:15pm||Opportunity Assessment||1A. Team Concept Memo (pdf)
1A. Team Concept Memo (docx)
1B. Market Research (pdf)
1B. Market Research (docx)
|9/25||5:30pm||7:30pm||Mixer 1: Brainstorming|
|9/26||6:00pm||7:30pm||Mixer 2: Pitching|
|10/1||3:45pm||4:15pm||Mentor Meet and Greet|
|2. GTM and Fieldwork (pdf)
2. GTM and Fieldwork (docx)
|10/3||5:30pm||6:30pm||Market Research with
|3. Financial Assumptions (pdf)
3. Financial Assumptions (docx)
|10/12||8:30am||12:00pm||Gate 1 Presentations|
|10/15||4:15pm||7:15pm||Financial Modeling||4. Unit Economics and Product Development (pdf)
4. Unit Economics and Product Development (docx)
|10/22||4:15pm||7:15pm||Product Development Plan||5. Financial Metrics (pdf)
5. Financial Metrics (docx)
|10/25||1:15pm||3:05pm||MS&E 278 @ NVIDIA Auditorium: When Should the Patent Application Be Filed?|
|10/29||4:15pm||7:15pm||Financing||6. Cap Table (pdf)
6. Cap Table (docx)
|10/31||5:30pm||6:30pm||VC Term Sheets||video|
|11/2||8:30am||12:00pm||Gate 2 Presentations|
|11/5||4:15pm||7:15pm||Capitalization||7. Business Canvas (pdf)
7. Business Canvas (pptx)
||8. Business Canvas Expansion (pdf)
8. Business Canvas Expansion (docx)
|12/3||2:00pm||6:00pm||Dry Run 1|
|12/4||2:00pm||6:00pm||Dry Run 2|
Week 1 (Sept. 24th - Sept. 30th)
- Learn more about the course through an interactive lecture with the course instructors and course Alumni. This should prove an exciting introduction! Applications are due by the end of class.
- Learn how to take the technology ideas swirling in your head and assess them in terms of their market opportunity.
Team Mixer I - Brainstorming - Wednesday, September 25 (5:30 PM) MANDATORY
- Meet at the d.School atrium. Get to know your classmates and form your team! The teams form really fast in this class, so don't miss this event. If you can't make it be sure to email the TAs ahead of time.
Team Mixer II - Pitching - Thursday, September 26 (6:00 PM)
- You must attend if you haven't formed a team yet. Teams of two or three will allowed to pitch to the remaining classmates and those on the waitlist.
- TAs will announce final class list by midnight. Wait-listed students are strongly encouraged to come to the next class on Oct 1st since historically spots will open up.
- Submit Team Form by Thursday 9/26 11:59pm.
- Assignment 1a - Team Concept Memo - Submit via Dropbox to the TAs by Monday 9/30 11:59pm
- Assignment 1b - Market Research and Product - Submit via Dropbox to the TAs by Monday 9/30 11:59pm
- Speaker Prep: Diane Greene
Week 2 (Oct. 1st – Oct. 7th)
Special Session, October 1st 3:45pm
- Mentor Introduction - 3:45 PM Your opportunity to meet your mentor. Remember, they will need to sign-off on your initial concept before you proceed, so get started with them right away!
- Opportunity Assessment - Diane Greene, co-founder of VMWare.
- Often the trickiest part of entrepreneurship, learn how to find the right customer for your product, or the right product for your customers.
Thursday, Special Session - Konstantin Guericke, Co-Founder of LinkedIn
- Konstantin will talk about market research in general, and how to get the most out of LinkedIn.
- Elevator Pitch Video – submit 1 minute video to Dropbox by Friday 10/4, 5pm
- Concept/Product Signoffs - Due by Friday 10/4 5:00pm. Your mentor and each team member should fill out the provided Google Form (red, yellow, green light)
- Assignment 2 - Go-to-market - Submit via Dropbox to the TAs by Monday 10/7 11:59pm
- Check out this Defendable Differentiated Positioning slide for reference
- Go to Market Strategy: The Strategic Way to Go to Market (HBS)
- Product Validation: Crossing the Chasm, Chapter 5: Assemble the Invasion Force
- Speaker Prep: Donna Novitsky
- Speaker Prep: Jon Brelig
Week 3 (Oct. 8th – Oct. 14th)
- Once you discover your customer, the next question to ask is how to actually reach them. Learn more from experienced guest lecturers Donna Novitsky, co-founder and CEO of Yiftee and Jon Brelig, co-founder and CTO of InfoScout.
- As a high-tech entrepreneur, you must build a viable technology solution to compete. But as a graduate student, you may often focus on technologies still 10-20 years from market development. Learn how to vet your technology idea for its current potential and avoid relying on a technology that's still in its infancy. No "WarpDrive" allowed, as we like to say!
- Submit Gate I Slides via Dropbox to TAs by Saturday, 10/12, 11:59pm
- Watch Peter Kent's financial primer. Review Peter Kent's financial model.
- Finance Video - Submit questions in a Word document to the TAs via Dropbox by Monday 10/14 11:59pm
- Assignment 3 - Financial Assumptions - Due via Dropbox to the TAs by Monday 10/14 11:59pm
- Speaker Prep: Mike Kourey
Gate I: Opportunity Assessment
Saturday, October 12 (8:30 AM - 12:00 PM) Y2E2-101/105
- Sign up on the Office Hour Sign-up Page (go to the Gate 1 tab on the Google Doc)
- Prepare a 15 minute team presentation, led by your CEO and CTO of your product/market fit. Timing will be enforced.
- Gate I guidelines.
Gate I Examples:
Week 4 (Oct. 15th – Oct. 21st)
- Review your financial assumptions in class.
- Mike Kourey of Khosla Ventures will discuss his lessons learned on financial planning and milestones for early stage technology start-ups.
- Peter Kent will answer your questions about financial models for tech start-ups.
Thursday, Special Session - CFO Deep Dive
- This is one of the highlights of the course! Proper accounting makes a start-up easier to fund and acquire. Learn what a start-up CFO needs to know to keep the company afloat! CFO’s required to attend, and all others are encouraged.
- Assignment 4 - Unit Economics and Product Development Plan - Due via Dropbox to the TAs by Monday 10/21 11:59pm
- Clay Christensen The Innovators Dilemma: Part I
- Speaker Prep: Rahul Sharma
- Speaker Prep: Justin White
Week 5 (Oct. 22nd – Oct. 28th)
Product Development Plan
- Rahul Sharma of Averail talks about his experiences in product development. Justin White talks about product development at Solum as it grew out of MS&E 273.
- Assignment 5 - Financial Metrics - Due via Dropbox to the TAs by Monday 10/28 11:59pm
- Raising Initial Funding For High Technology Companies in the San Francisco Bay Area, Greguras and Stafford, Fenwick & West LLP.
- East Coast vs. West Coast: Regional Differences in Venture Capital Financing, Cooley Godward, LLP, Aug 2007.
- Speaker Prep: Ann Muira-Ko
- Speaker Prep: Scott Sandell
- Presenting the Plan and Negotiating the Deal, Technology Ventures, Chap. 19, p. 423-435.
Week 6 (Oct. 29th – Nov. 4th)
- Scott Sandell of NEA will explore opportunities for Venture Capital financing.
- Ann Miura Ko of Floodgate will discuss multistage financing.
- Gate 2 Sanity Check
Thursday, Special Session - VC Terms Sheets
- Want to understand the fundraising process and that elusive terms sheet? Watch the mock negotiation first, and come with questions!
- For an explanation of a classic terms sheet, see the Form of VC terms sheet.
- Also see the Mock terms sheet.
- Here is a VC terms sheet glossary.
- Submit Gate II Slides via Dropbox to TAs by Saturday 11/2, 11:59pm
- Assignment 6 - Cap Table - Due via Dropbox to the TAs by Monday 11/4 11:59pm
Gate II: Operating Plan
Saturday, November 2 (8:30 AM -12:30 PM) Y2E2 101/Y2E2 105
- Sign up on the Office Hour Sign-up Page (go to the Gate 2 tab on the Google Doc)
- Prepare a team presentation of your operations plan.
- Gate II guidelines.
Gate II Examples:
Gate II Reminders
- Describe how you plan to develop your product and bring it to market including number, timing and costs of R&D heads.
- Include detailed five year projections and your cash flow breakeven. Be sure to distinguish your product development stage from your steady state of operations.
- Ground all of your financials with a proxy analysis. Be prepared to defend any material differences at any stage of the company between your proxy and your plan.
Week 7 (Nov. 5th- Nov. 11th)
- Mark Leslie will discuss the Skybox Imaging case. Students need to have thoroughly read, researched and studied the case and be prepared to actively participate in the case during the class.
- Skybox Case.
- Skybox Case study questions.
- Jerry Fiddler will discuss Solarzym and other ventures.
- Cap structure class examples.
- Assignment 7 - Business Model Canvas - Due via Dropbox to the TAs by Monday 11/11 11:59pm
- Submit questions for Dan Dorosin, Fenwick and West in a Word document to TAs via Dropbox by Monday 11/11 11:59pm
- Video: Start-Up Company Formation - Daniel A. Dorosin, Fenwick & West LLP
- Video: Start-Up Intellectual Property Considerations - Daniel A. Dorosin, Fenwick & West LLP
- Video: Key Term Sheet Issues - Daniel A. Dorosin, Fenwick & West LLP
- Video: The VC Presentation: Content and Process - Erik Straser, General Partner
- Speaker Prep: Dan Dorosin
Week 8 (Nov. 12th - Nov. 18th)
- What questions would you ask if you had free time with one of the lead firms for Silicon Valley Start-ups? Now’s your chance! Special Guest, Dan Dorosin of Fenwick & West will answer questions on everything from equity splitting, IP considerations and fundraising and procedures for formalizing your start-up.
Pitching to Venture Capitalists
- Mike and Audrey give you the low-down on how to pitch to VC’s from personal experience with special presentation by alumni group mLab.
Final Assignment (Due Nov. 15th)
- Please make sure your concise business canvas analysis is no more than 10 pages (excluding appendices). Be concise and to the point!
- Please submit your business canvas analysis electronically (pdf format) via Dropbox no later than Friday, November 15th, by midnight.
- More details can be found here.
Business Canvas Analysis Example
- Crossing the Chasm
- Please review the presentation Pitching Mohr Davidow Ventures, which will also be discussed in preparation for your pitch.
- Speaker Prep: Come prepared to ask the teaching team great questions about their start-up experience.
Week 9 (Nov. 19th)
Entrepreneurship: an Extreme Sport
- Special Guest: Geoff Moore
- Concluding thoughts from the teaching team
Week 10 (Dec. 3rd - Dec. 6th)
Dry Run - Tuesday, December 3, Huang 304
Dry Run - Wednesday, December 4, Huang 304
Final Presentation To VC Panel - December 5 & 6, Fisher Conference Center, Arrillaga Alumni Center
- Submit Final Presentation Slides via Dropbox to TAs by Friday, Dec. 6th, 11:59pm